Saint Elmo Peak Trail

Saint Elmo Peak Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hill City, SD that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Steep trail to the top of St. Elmo. Nice rock summit. Great view of Harney and Little Devils Tower.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I had a hard time finding the trailhead. I read on another website on how to find it. Not sure if this correct as there were no markers at all. We parked at mile marker 24255 near and "X" mark the spot sign. There is a small little area to park off the road. We crossed a fence and followed a trail. Came to what appeared to be an old road, took a right, walked about 1/4-1/2 mile and found trail again on left. Definitely gets your heart-rate pumping. LOTS of wild raspberries on the trail. Beautiful view!!!

One of, if not the hardest trail I've done here. '76 trail in Spearfish Canyon is near the same difficulty. When you're hiking up don't forget to turn around and take in the amazing view. The top has a fantastic view of Harney Peak and Little Devils Tower. I recommend wearing pants or else your legs will get tore up. If you do the hike, have fun!

One if the best hikes you'll have in the hills. It's a challenge but the view is well worth it

Nice short hike. Very steep. Good trail. Low traffic.