Spring Creek Loop Trail

Spring Creek Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rapid City, SD that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very easy with a beautiful view. No peak but wonderful if you have a dog and young ones.

Nice loop. trailhead near Sheridan Lake. crossed the creek four times but two foot bridges are in bad state of repair. extremely warped. dangerous. great morning hike!

I was rather disappointed with this trail. We followed the exact trail listed here and we didn't see any lake at all. The trail was extremely easy to follow with great views and great for kids. It says there's 3 bridges to cross but we only saw one small dried up creek that was easy to cross, that was the only water we saw on this entire hike.

The map outlined above didn't have any springs/creeks unless I completely missed them, which was a bummer because I had my 3 dogs with me and I picked this trail so that they could play in the water. Pretty bummed in that regard unless there's a different "spring creek loop". Otherwise a nice little hike.

Had fun but the trails were hard to follow.

This is a very easy hike for the family. Not many ups and downs. We took 3.5 hours to complete the loop but could've been done much quicker if it wasn't for a tired 3 year old (she was able to navigate the trail by herself the whole way though). There are a couple of spots that open up and have great views but not as much as other hikes in the area. The three star rating is based on a bored mom and dad (not a lot to look at) but perfect terrain for the kids to be able to go it on there own.

Wonderful hike!! My husband, son (7yrs), myself and the in-laws did this hike today. Definitely one that anyone can do if you want to. Can't wait to do it again and take the branch off to Harney Peak.

Awesome hike, very family friendly. About an hour each way, give or take, and our 2 1/2 year old can walk/climb most of the way.

This trail is littered with tons of bolted and non bolted rock climbing routes. We even saw a couple of guys slack lining between two of the spires, several hundred feet above the ground!!! Breathtaking little spot, very fun, done this several times. The minimal parking keeps the traffic on the trail lower than it would be, but will still have you crossing paths with others occasionally.

Take water for your 4 legged companions!

Scenery! Starting with Sylvan Lake, great shots of the Hills on the way up, and a spectacular view from the top. The hike up takes around 2-3 hours, depending on your speed, but only an hour and a half back down. Seriously.

Dog friendly, but if the parking lot is full, might keep your dog on a leash. Restrooms at the parking lot, easy to get to, close enough to Rapid City or the other southern hills towns to make it a day trip.

A great hike for enthusiasts, a bit strenuous towards the top and a bit long if you don't hike often, but believe me when I say that the hike down is MUCH easier and faster, so don't fret!

Super easy hike, minimally stressful at best. Took two adults, a 2 1/2 year old, and a husky about an hour and a half or so to complete.

We preferred to come in from Hwy 16, and hike the loop clockwise, so we didn't see any of the scenery on the drive in.

We recommend doing this hike in the evening, so the sun starts to set and casts a beautiful light through the trees and on the Hills.

Great view of a meadow from up high on the cliffs, a stock pond, lots of wildflowers, and lots of new tree growth. The trail has been minimally traveled on; the grass has grown in on a lot of the trail, giving you the feeling that few people have been able to truly enjoy this casual hike. We will do this trail again on a wet day, the smells should be amazing!

Extremely awesome hike. Very easy, very little change in elevation. Breathtaking views of the creek and sheridan lake. This trail includes parts of the centennial trail and the flume trail. You will cross stone retaining walls that were part of the flume, these are simply incredible in size and amazing to imagine the work put into them. Unfortunately when we hiked it, there was some fire damage to the surrounding trees and trail. Luckily the damage is minimal to this awesome trail in the black hills.

Great trail if you want a short hike not far from Rapid City. Nice views along the way.