Little Spearfish Trail

Little Spearfish Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lead, SD and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

I only went as far as the falls. Beautiful falls an easy hike to get to it. Spearfish Canyon was beautiful! I'd go again.

Just as I was thinking "this trail is actually marked really well," I missed a left turn. I'm glad I had the gps and this trail loaded up on the app. The trail is really quite beautiful, but others are correct in saying the logging roads have made things confusing. I was on a stretch of the trail that follows a living road, but I failed to notice the reappearance of a foot path on the left side of this road, which veered off to the left as I mistakenly followed the road around a gradual right curve. Fortunately I checked the app on the phone and noticed before I had gone very far off track. Then again, toward the end if the trail, you're obligated to walk along Roughlock Falls Road for awhile just to get back to the trailhead. I think if I do this trail again, I will not do the whole loop, just out and back along the creek.

disappointed, it was about 5 miles down a rough dirt road, the path was not clearly marked. Don't really ever think we found the trail. we ran into other hikers having the same problem. Did see a couple of woodpeckers and a snake.

And to add on. To take this trail. The advice I have that will be sure to get you through the whole trail. ALWAYS go left and just keep walking. Never go off trail. If you always go left, you WILL make it out on time. We thought we were on the wrong trail and tried to head straight for the road through the thick brush. No Bueno. Stay on trail.

Not clearly marked at all farther up into the hike. Very easy to get off on the wrong trail. Without Verizon, a compass, and a map, we would've been spending the night there. Made a great story to tell though

Lovely trail, mostly flat though there is an incline in parts. Follows a stream for a while towards the end.

Great easy hike, however there were a lot of logging trails that obscured the hiking trail. Very pretty woodland and streams.

This trail shouldn't even be on here right now. When it's not so overgrown that you can hardly see where the trail is, it is rudely interrupted with logging trails and equipment. There was really only like .5 mile of comfortable hiking. We couldn't even tell where the trail was at several points and ended up having to cut through the middle of the woods in hopes of finding the car again. This "5.7 mile" hike turned into 7-8 miles by the time we finally hit the road and found the trailhead again.

In early August, this trail was full of flowers and lovely flora. In a few parts, the trail was tough to see because of overgrowth, but it was always there, you just have to kick through some of the green to pass through it; I could tell the trail isn't used an awful lot. If you take the trail counter-clockwise (from the trailhead), the first mile is full of beaver dams along the creek. It then slowly ascends into a wooded area. We saw mushrooms, raspberries, and more. The elevation gains and drops are pretty easy. In general, a pleasant hike around the area. Be sure to check out Roughlock Falls on your way to this trail!

Nice hike with very nice views

A great hike; the scenory is beautiful. A winter scene from the movie Dances With Wolves is shot on part of the trail.