Little Elk Creek Trail

Little Elk Creek Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Piedmont, SD that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail! Beautiful this time of year!

one of my favorites

Best hike so far in the Black Hills. Every step it seemed there was a new awe inspiring view. The trail is rather easy, very little elevation, a bit rocky in places. At one point the trail diverges into an upper and lower trail, I took both and they were both equally amazing. The upper trail gave some amazing views of the canyon while the lower trail ran closer to the creek and had some amazing views of the water. The creek is clear and you can see the brook trout swimming around. Even was able to get a few pictures of them swimming around. It seemed the hike took longer than it should have because there was always something to get a picture of. I think I got over 300 pictures on this hike.

One of my favorites so far! plenty of shade and water for dogs :) Once we finally started to hit some elevation we turned back around, this is where the shade and water gets a little scarce. I would say it is a total of maybe 6 miles, not sure where the 17 comes into play? Gorgeous views along the whole way :)

Not sure where they're getting the 17 miles in the description, but i tracked 4.3 miles to Dalton Lake. Would make for some good photo opportunities in the fall.

Awesome trial

The water was up along the creek after over 2 inches of rain on the weekend. Noting approximately 20-30 min in to the hike, the trail was covered by the creek. I had to go over boulders to get to where the trail continued but it was only about 20 yards away. I couldn't see it but knew to stay along the cliff wall. Then about 40 min in the trail splits in a Y with one going high and the other going low. The high trail was pretty clear and then abruptly stopped and dropped sharply down to the low trail. Coming back on the low trail, there were places where I needed to get through boulder fields along the creek. As long as I stayed along the creek bank, I could find the trail. Beautiful scenery this AM and water running high made for wonderful sights and sounds. I would rate it more closer to easy to low moderate, due to the need to get up/down some steep spots and getting over boulder/rock fields. Loved it! (Only went 1 hour out and back)

This is a great hike. The location listed here on allTrails is a bit off though. The trail is actually South of what is depicted on here. You need to go south to just north of the next exit to the south (exit 44, a couple miles south on sturgis rd). The first dirt road north of exit 44 on the west side of the interstate is called little elk creek road. Turn west on that and go a few miles until it dead ends at the parking area for the trail head. The trail starts off very easy on an old dirt road that follows a small creek. There are great sights all along the way. It eventually gets a little more rocky and offers other great scenery. It is an out and back trail so we always have the hardest time deciding where to turn around because there's so many great sights. Eventually we'll make it all the way. There is the option to drive around and park on the back side to start. We might try that next time in order to see the whole trail. This trail is great for mountain biking too. The rocky part is challenging but I walked that portion and really enjoyed the rest of it.