Homesteader Nature Trail

Homesteader Nature Trail is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brandon, SD that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1.5 miles Loop

This trail is a nature extravaganza. Throughout the course of the trail hikers will walk through a creek bottom, loland forest, a plum thicket, native prairie, and upland forest.

We had a terrible time on this trail today. None of the turns were marked, major portions were overgrown with briars, and some parts were blocked by downed branches. We found a map online, but I can't say that was much help either. We won't be back.

My family and I loved this place. But we only know it by the name of Beaver Creek Nature Area.

Lots of twists and turns. There is never a boring view and you have plenty of choices to make on what path you want to travel.

Why I like this trail. It's away from major roads off from a gravel road so is it's low traffic even on weekends. Ash, oak and a few American elm and box elder trees are the bulk of the canopy. A suspended footbridge and old log cabin to add interest to an otherwise ordinary trail. I am purposefully giving it a rating of 3 stars to keep star rankings from adding more traffic to an otherwise tranquil trail. Great family trail. @backpackerneil

Great trail with lots of different vegetation.