Hell Canyon Trail

Hell Canyon Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Custer, SD that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

from Custer, Sd go west to Jewel Cave Nat'l Mon. continue west few miles to sign along Hwy 16

Solid trail. Took it backwards with my dogs, and ended up going out to the outlook (totally worth it) going backward all the hard work is front loaded so most of the hike is quite leisurely.

Visited the cave and decided to go for a hike. Pretty trail with a variety of things to see. Some some wildlife along the trail. You have to pay attention where you are going or you could miss your turns. Needs to be marked better in areas.

I did the full trail. In 2hrs! I hiked up 1st then hiked down into the canyon. It was a great day for a hike. The beginning of the trail up is steep.

I worked clockwise and hiked the rim first. It was an amazing view after a decent snowfall. I wish I would've gone through the canyon first and saved the rim for last. Also just be mindful of the mountain lions. I saw some pretty big tracks in the fresh snow.

Awesome trail. But if you go through the canyon first, be careful not to miss the sharp turn uphill at the farthest point in the trail.

It was fun. Me and my family finished this trail around 3 hours. We did it backwards starting in the canyon. I prefer this route so you can save the mountain top for the end. There is a cave down in the canyon which was a beautiful site. The best part was hiking the backside of the mountain. Lots of beautiful scenes. Towards the top we could really see where the fire hit.

This place does "desolate scenery" very well. That fire will always be remembered by Hells Canyon and all its inhabitants. The upper rim is very worth the hike so start at the bottom and save the best for last. The girlfriend and I had a total of 22 ticks on us throughout the hike, so check your dogs if you go during tick season.

Beautiful scenery, this is a 6 mile loop that I did counter clockwise. The first half was a great trail up on the ridge looking down into the canyon. The second half once you drop into the canyon was very tall grass and the trail was very grown over. I ended up with 2 ticks. This area was burned in 2000 and no trees have grown back since.