Gevik Outdoor Conservation Area

DIFFICULTY 4 reviews

Gevik Outdoor Conservation Area is a 2 mile loop trail located near Hartford, SD that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until November.

2.0 miles Loop

A crushed asphalt trail that is well maintained that goes around 3 sides of the wetland. It has an observation deck as well as benches along the way. Mostly open prairie with a couple of groupings of trees. This is a wetland area with a lolipop trail that is about 2 miles in length. Great place to view wildlife especially ducks and geese.

Well kept trail near wall lake! It's very quiet with great views! I'll be back again!

My daughter and I enjoyed our hike. There was only a little bit of snow and it wasn't very muddy.

There was a farm next to the trail and we got to see newborn calves and cows. There was also angry and confused geese hanging out on the ice.

This would be a great walk in the spring.

The only downside was the bridge. We brought my 100lbs golden with us and his paws were not a fan of the bridge. The bridge is almost like a chain-link fence (example... obviously not a fence turned on it's side) turned on its side. A smaller dog would probably need to be carried across or in pain crossing the bridge.

We enjoyed the walk and will be back.

This is a wetland area that is deep enough for ducks and geese to make their home. A well maintained trail leads to an observation deck on the West side of the slough. There is also an observation shelter in the water with a bridge leading to it so you can view the waterfowl without them knowing you are there. This is a very quiet trail. No one else was there for the hour or so we were there. Wide open prairie for most of it with great views.