Crow Peak Trail

Crow Peak Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Spearfish, SD that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until October.

Sadly, most of Crow Peak was badly damaged by forest fire from a lightening strike this summer. However, this does not diminish what a terrific hike this is. Great workout and more than worth the effort when you get to the amazing South Dakota & Wyoming vistas at the top.

Awesome hike. We did this in mid June and it was beautiful. There's a mix of very steep to flat surfaces along the trail. The last leg is the hardest and basically straight up. My fitbit said i had climbed 237 floors by the end of the hike and it took us about 4 hours to complete. We do some hiking but I wouldn't call us experienced and we made it through this hike. The views at the top are worth every bit of discomfort on the way up. Every time your turn around the view and landscape has changed.

Nice mix of steeper sections all the way to flats as you climb. The last push is the steepest. Very cool hike, and we'll worth it.

Strenuous but exhilarating!

Amazing views when reached the top. Was a little hard to find the trail when showing up because the sign is set back on the trail through the gate.

Well marked, easy incline. There were some areas with loose rocks near the top, but overall a very nice trail with lovely views of Spearfish.

Great view of Spearfish.

My husband and I really enjoyed this trail! We are 50-somethings with moderate hiking experience, and we agree with the description of this trail as "difficult"--- but not too difficult.. The elevation change was quite manageable, though, since there was a nice mix of steep sections and areas of more gradual ascent. Some rocky areas made for tricky walking. I agree with the reviewers who wrote that "you know you did a good hike when you're finished!" It took us about 1 hour 45 min to reach the summit at a steady moderate pace, and it took us about 1.5 hrs to come back down. Great views near the top and, of course, at the summit!
One note about directions: We were a little unsure about how to find the trailhead. It would have been nice to know that FSR 214 is the same as Hidden Gulch Rd. Take Hillview Rd south out of Spearfish, then go left on Hidden Gulch Rd for about 7 miles---parking area and trailhead will be on the left.

I have a question about the Crow Peak Trail. It says 7 mile out and back and I see some reviews where it took 4 hours or all day. What kind of pace? I was hoping to run this trail in 1.5 hours or less. What is the climb like? Is it steep or gradual? Switchbacks the whole way or just towards the top? IS there a longer trail nearby or a connecting trail to get a longer distance in? I have never hiked or run in the Black Hills and I am heading out there this weekend.

More difficult hike than anticipated, and the trailhead was further from the parking area than our written guidance stated. All in all a nearly 10 mile round trip day for our group. Great view from the top.

Worth it! Love the view from up top! Got harder as you got closer to the top, but the view is great

One of my favorite trails while in the Black Hills! A very good work out it took us about 4 hours we spent some time at the summit and also did the Beaver trail too. Great scenery some loose rocks in a few places added to the fun. Some long ascents not too bad but you will know you hiked when through. Loved this one!!

i have a question
can you hike this within a full day?

I have hiked this trail many times and everytime I enjoy it more and more:) Very peaceful hike and beautiful views!!

Great trail! Wonderful views and rugged enough to call it hiking, not walking. Scree and loose rock, more than the climb earn this trail the moderate to difficult label, but you will know that you are going up hill. Trail is pretty heavily used judging by the full journal and seeing 4 people late on a Tuesday, but it is well maintained with little or no litter.

I really enjoy this trail. Good difficulty level, and you really feel like you did a workout when you get back to the trailhead. There is a lot of great Black Hills scenery. From the summit, you can enjoy vistas of Harney Peak, Terry Peak, and a great view of Spearfish and Wyoming. There are a few scree fields that cover the trail. and be sure to be prepared with rain gear in case a common South Dakota thunderstorm passes by. We usually average 1.5 hours to the summit, and 1 hour back to the trailhead. You gain 1560 feet in elevation to the summit in the 3.5 miles, so just be aware. Not arduous, but is steep in spots. Overall, we love it!

I was two months out from having my first child and was not in the best shape. However, the view is incredible once you make it to the summitt which is 5,760. There was snow on the ground in shaded places, but the trail was in pretty good condition.

I would absolutely recommend this trail!