Sassafras Mountain Trail to Table Rock Viewpoint

Sassafras Mountain Trail to Table Rock Viewpoint is a 16.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sunset, SC that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

cave

Great day hike. This one is more about stamina than scenery although there's several great lookout points from rocks. Save yourself the steps and avoid the spur to the top of Pinnacle. Much better views other places and you'll likely need that energy and time. Lots of water and creeks to enjoy just watch for the slithering critters enjoying them too.

We actually hiked up to the summit from one of the foothills trail heads located at a bridge on route 178. We parked at the foothills trail parking lot on horse pasture rd. From the bottom at the river it is about 2.5 miles to chinneytop gap, there you will cross the main road to the peak and continue about 2.2 miles until you cross the main road to the top once more. From there we actually just followed the road to the top but we did see a sign that said the trail would be 3 more miles to the peak. I would say the road route was just under a mile to the peak. Excellent views from the top but the peak itself could use a little cleanup. Took us a while to actually find the the sign with the elevation. It is located near the high pointers bench near the middle of the peak on a small rock on the ground.

Well marked, plenty of water. Great winter views. Nice camping spots along the way. If you take trail to Pinnacle and on over to top of Table Rock, expect tough up and downs!

I did the hike with my brothers and nephew Feb 14, 2016. Started out at 26 degrees but sunny. The trail is great in that there aren't too many rocks. Water sources are well marked if they are needed. Our decision came at the Table Rock summit trail as to go or not. We chose to and paid for that up and down plus the 2 miles down to TR Nature Center. The many stone steps down took their toll but we survived. I would recommend this hike for the views but be ready for some serious declines.

Very difficult backpacking uphill. Made camp at the old house area, but it was certainly a difficult hike in one day. The view from the top was awesome at sunset!

Easy walk to top, the views would be fantastic on a clear day.One can make this as long a hike astounding like because it is on the Foothills Trail.

The foothills trail that leads to Caesar's Head has had the brush cleared off so it is much easier hiking now. The first two miles are very strenuous and then it flattens out to a moderate hike and eventually becomes a logging road. It's not that scenic, but it's a good work out.

Sassafras mountain has part of foothills trail on it that leads to Cesar's Head. I walked about 2 miles on that trail. It very steep at first, then very brushy, then becomes a nice strolling path.

Unfortunately, I got lost for about 3 hours after sundown on the trail. As I returned to the brushy area, I got lost and could no longer find the markings on the trees. I walked over a couple hills, thinking I was going in the right direction, but no I wasn't. Then I decided to walk toward a signal tower. I went over a couple more rugged hills and still was no closer to the signal light because I would lose sight of it in the valley and I had to walk in places that were easy to pass through. Eventually, I spotted some man made steps and discovered the trail again.

I was really worried I was not going to make it out alive. There is hardly anyone up there and there is no cell phone service. There are no rangers and there is not a station to leave a note about being on a trail. It got down to 27 degrees that night. My leg got all scabbed up walking into branches. I've had the experience of being swallow up by the ocean before and this time I felt like I was being swallowed up by the mountains, which all look the same at night. I may take a machete to clear away the brush on that trail next time. It was not for that, I would have made it back on time. I'm leaning that mountain hiking can be dangerous. You have to estimate how long it will take to get back before sunset correctly on an unfamiliar trail.