Raven Cliff Falls Loop Trail

Raven Cliff Falls Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Combining the Raven Cliff Falls trail, the Gum Gap trail, the Naturaland Trust trail, and the Dismal trail for a great adventure! This is a great workout with a tremendous payoff. We hiked trail #11(FHT/Raven Cliff Falls,easy) to trail #13 (Gum Gap,easy). We followed Gum Gap to trail #14 (Natureland Trust, strenuous) over the suspension bridge and down the the side towards Matthews Creek at the bottom. Along the way there is a great break spot on a ledge(see photo) and the Catherdal formation (also see photo). This section is very steep going down. We crossed Matthews Creek on the cables and started the vicious switchbacks on Trail #12 (the Dismal Trail) back to trail #11 and eventually the parking lot. This hike is outstanding, we had the fortune to run into a mother black bear and two cubs just after the Matthews Creek crossing. There is so much to say about this route but I would rather you experience it for yourself. Be prepared, either direction this is a hard hike with a well earned payoff. Enjoy and I'll see you on the trail!!!

8 minutes ago

Tough hike but beautiful.

I love this trail it has spur trails as well and its always a great view of the falls.

What a great trail, strenuous for a bit, but most of the hike is not too bad. I did the 9ish mile loop counterclockwise and it only took a little over 3 hours. I could imagine the other way being harder, will have to try it out!

Big cliffs and nice falls, but no ravens. Very challenging but rewarding hike. I would highly recommend hiking clockwise on this loop, since the toughest incline is definitely on the east side. Cliffs are really tall and picturesque. Some recommend skipping the overlook, which you can, because there is another less known overlook on the east side of the trail on a rock overlooking the falls from a better angle. Bring hiking sticks and boots! Tennis shoes just aren't gonna cut it.

Since most people go left on the loop, I chose to go right so as to reward myself with the falls as opposed to seeing them at the start. Made it about 3/4 of the way through the loop itself before I wound up off park property. Pretty sure I made a wrong turn at some point, but after crossing a creek that went halfway up my shins, I walked for another 45 minutes or so, only to realize that the number of forks in the trail was still increasing. Ended up stopping and going back the way I came, as the trail was unmarked and I am by no means a survival expert. Great hike all around though. Will definitely come back and try going left to see if I can find where I went wrong.

Thought going down dismal was tough, until I went up the pink. The leaves make it dangerous, wear hiking boots and be CAREFUL!!

I came about this amazing trail, a few years ago, on a Girl Scout trip. I loved the views, the challenge, every single moment. I've wanted to go back for awhile now.

Parked in the lot across the street. Took the red trail to the blue trail then took pink to the suspension bridge. Turned around and headed back to the car. Don't do the overlook, it isn't as cool as the suspension bridge. We would have continued on pink, but it increased in diffculty and it takes you further away from where you park.

perfect for one day hiking.

Great hike with some interesting challenges. We decided on the clockwise loop after visiting the overlook first. By the time we had crossed the suspension bridge I was certainly glad the hardest part was behind me. The trails are marked pretty well but there were times I was VERY glad to see that blaze mark. The intersections are marked very well with maps. I would recommend being very familiar with the route you want to take before setting out. Many times you could be on the right trail, but going in the wrong direction. The view from the overlook is too far away. And with the current drought, the amount of water is greatly diminished. The view from the bridge is nice but you certainly don't see all the falls when you're overhead. I wanted to find a spot where I could get a good view of the falls on the way up but didn't find one. It took us about 5 hours including a couple of stops.