Parson's Mountain

Parson's Mountain is a 4 mile loop trail located near Abbeville, SC and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

4.0 miles Loop

I see there has not been a review for 2 years. I figure I'd give an update. Well, it can't be a good one. The trail is still in need of maintenance. Not just because of down'd trees, but there are so few markers and no signs leading hikers to the tower at the top, which you cannot go up into. We got turned about along with others, but found our way eventually. (Go where the arrows tell you! The trail around the pound/lake is currently impassable due to over-growth of tall thick reed grass. There were signs of wild hogs in the grass, but saw no actual hogs. The area was quiet however without a lot of people on the trail. Just needs better signs and some tender loving care.

The mines are kind of interesting and the tower is cool. The swimming spot is nice too. My family and I also went camping there and it was really nice. I love the park, but the trail is not my favorite part.

Nice little trail

Nice little hike, but the trail needs some maintenance. At one stream crossing, the bridge is washed out and hikers need to figure out their own way across. Some trail markers are difficult to see. The old gold mines are interesting.

Hiked this with my 10 year old daughter in April 2011. Only saw 1 other couple on the trail 50 yards in then never again. Trail was in pretty good shape just had to scramble over a couple of down trees. The abandoned gold mines were intriguing and worth the hike itself. The firetower at the top of the "mountain" was present but there was no toilet/portolet like the guidebooks said. Also no view, although if it had been winter the view might have better.