Historic Brattonsville

Historic Brattonsville is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near McConnells, SC and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

walk in the footsteps of Mel Gibson !! The Bratton Trail is a 4 mile loop which winds it way around the 775 acres that make up Historic Brattonsville. There are several interconnecting trails that total another 4 miles. We took the Bratton Trail only which has some nice elevations, footbridges and meadows. There are also 2 lakes that you'll pass and you may see beavers. About 1/3 of The Patriot was filmed here and the visitor center has some artifacts on display from it. You may be walking in the footsteps of Mel Gibson !! They have a nice picnic shelter just off the nature trail, take advantage of this !! There is a fee of $2 to hike but admission is free the 3rd Sunday of each month.

I have been there twice, and Brattonsville is a bit of a drive from anywhere. The first time I arrived at 9 am and it was not open yet: opens at 10. Next time I arrived at 10, but it was horse day on the trails, so no biking. And then I learned that it costs $5 to get on those trails. That's ok if you are touring the house and visiting the Christmas exhibits and all, but if all you wants a ride...So I never even rode them.

Loved the history of this place. More of a leisurely walk though. Not tough at all.

My 1 year old and I hiked this area in early January and pretty much had the place to ourselves! Greatly maintained! I'm mainly giving this a 4 start because I truly appreciate historic locations being preserved and maintained! The people I encountered working here were anything but hospitable. The description isn't correct and the fee is $6 to walk the grounds and never free the third Sunday of the month.

finally made it back and omg, the amount of spiderwebs is insane. even following a volunteer's vehicle, we were walking into them where we had to take mcclure trail back to start after going less than a mile in. was told it would be better in a few weeks but outside of the historic stuff in the beginning, there's not much to see.

tried to go today but found out it's closed on mondays, super bummed since i drove an hour to get there. i'll try another time, looked very interesting. 3 stars for what we were able to see before they kicked us out.