Foothills Trail - Whitewater River

Foothills Trail - Whitewater River is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Rest, SC that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Whether you are looking for a long-distance backpacking trip or an exciting day-hike, the Foothills Trail offers an extraordinary opportunity to explore the Southern Appalachians. About 77 miles in length, the Foothills Trail is located along the Blue Ridge Escarpment in Upstate South Carolina and W The Foothills Trail can be approached as a multi-day through-hike, a weekend section hike, or simply as a dayhike. The Peregrine Award is available for those who hike all the trail between Table Rock State Park and Oconee State Park The trail is 77 miles in length, and a through-hiker should plan to

Wonderful Trail with beautiful views of the whitewater river. Hiked this the first week on November and the weather was wonderful.

We took 38 men from church for retreat. 4/21/16-4/24/16. Team 1 started at Upper Whitewater Falls and team 2 started near jumping branch. Plan was to meet at Burells Ford Friday night. Hiking from the falls down the trail to Burells is mostly flat or down. Hiking the opposite way from Burells to Ww falls is UP hill and very tough. Beautiful scenery (my second time on trail) but noticed many trees down from storms. Don't be afraid of broken trail marking on map as I found them to be more challenging and exciting. Bathroom is now repaired at Burells.

Awesome!!

Awesome trail! Easy to follow the path, sometimes not so easy of a path! Just finished the section from Laurel Valley to Upper White Water Falls. It took 2.5 days (13 mile, 15 mile, 7 mile days) and there was plenty of well managed campsites. Lots of interesting things to see on the trail, lakes and waterfalls, and it is beautiful. While there are leaves on the trees not a lot of visibility but I imagine here in a month or so it will be amazing.

Did the whole thing in 5 days. 5 long days. It was amazing! From heartbreak ridge through the Chattooga river was beautiful! I will definitely do those sections again!

Fantastic. Not crowded, dogs could swim and so could I. Several options for exploring.

We did not hike the entire Foothills Trail (we are a hiking family with small children), but we did hike a few miles, enjoyed the falls and the river, and got back just in time to get rained on a little. Really great trails and beautiful area.

Fantastic trail. Really hard at some points, but super super rewarding. Well maintained, good sites, great views. I did it in 7 days, and will deff do it 5. Would recommend buying a trail guild, but is marked good as well.

I hiked the Laurel Fork Falls section to Virginia Hawkins falls and back. It took 5 hours and 10 minutes. The trailhead is off of Highway 178. The hike is strenuous and I was sore and blistered after it. The hike can be steep, but the trail is not rooty or rocky, quick smooth in fact. It is well maintained with hardly any obstructions. The trail is often narrow. There is a lot of variety in the natural surroundings as you go down the mountain and into the valley. Virginia Hawkins has an impressive falls. That was the only large river in the area to get wet in and it takes some time to get to. I only saw seven people on the trail. There were 4 campsites along that section of the trail and one was occupied. There is not ranger or registration at the trailhead, so you are on your own.

Just completed Burrell's Ford to Table Rock. We did it in 3 1/2 days. Some pretty tough hiking, but loved it. I'd recommend taking 6-7 days to hike entire trail and enjoy the creeks and rivers.

Did this April 4, 2013. Beautiful trail, much to see and experience. We did this in 5 days, but I would suggest 7 in order to take in the side trails, waterfalls, suspension bridges and rivers.

We hiked this trail by a series of many day hikes. There are two access points on Lake Jocassee which we boated in and made out and back hikes. The trail also passes through NC Gorges State Park where we stared on of our hikes. The trail has some great views of Lake Jocassee in the winter. Beware of hunters during hunting season. We ran into bear hunters on one of our hikes!