Forks Area Trail System (FATS)

Forks Area Trail System (FATS) is a 22.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clarks Hill, South Carolina that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Horses are also able to use this trail.

A series of loops through a thickly forested area provide a great hiking or mountain bike experience for all levels of hikers and riders. A series of loops through a thickly forested area provide a great hiking or mountain bike experience for all levels of hikers and riders. You can get a feel of the mountains where some of the higher elevations provide panoramic views and the thick vegetation provides a home for many birds and animals. Although it is hilly, you arent going to find many climbs that require a lot of effort or dismounts. For experienced riders, there are many sections where you have a choice of just rolling through, or going to one side to jump, and sections of ripples where you can also roll through or get air between them. The Great Wall offers a more of a challenge for experienced riders and may be difficult for beginners in places. Do NOT ride or walk around areas where the trail bed has been stabilized by rock. After heavy rain sections may be closed. From: http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/alltrails/MountainBike/FATS.html

Love it! Great for hiking or biking.

awesome trails.

Awesome trail. Worth the drive.

This trailhead is temporarily closed.

fun trip with the family

The family and I loved the trail. We took the dogs out with us and we all had a great hike going around Deep Step. Will have to check the other trails later on.

Great run but hard work

I didn't expect the mountain bike trail to be so awesome! I am a beginner with a non-suspension bike. I have VERY good rims and that's the only thing that saved me, Hahahaha! I did the skinny and wore my butt out. I survived, but my forks not so much. I'll be back with some suspension! I've ridden two other trails in different states, but this was the most gratifying!

Good day with the family and dog did the skinny and now are legs are feeling it the dog has never been happier

Awesome. First time riding FATS. Rode Great Wall. Very nice, beautiful and challenging. Kept my attention.

Really thrilling. As a beginner, these are great!

If you're accustomed to mountain biking in the mtns, this will be somewhat of a let down. That being said, these trails are very well kept and easy to ride. There are some fast areas and some great places to get some air. The trails can get VERY congested on nice weekends. If you're up for a real adventure, grab a few buddies, strap on some headlamps and ride the trails at night.

Hiked Skinny Loop. It is 6 miles, and I took approximately 2.5 hours to complete it. It is well marked with mile markers along the way! I must note that the distance from the trailhead to the loop is roughly a mile, which adds on almost 2 miles total.This isn't a problem unless you are like me and come later in the day - I was racing to finish before the sun completely set! Other than that, the inclines and declines were easily manageable, and the scenery is pretty great. Definitely feels like the National Forest it is!

My family and I rode the Skinny and loved it. To live hours from the mountains, it was a great treat to find FATS.

This trail system is incredible! Just hiked here for the first time yesterday with my oldest daughter (10). We hiked the Skinny Loop and it was great. Very good introduction to hiking for my daughter, and still enjoyable for more seasoned hikers. Can't wait to mark off the rest of these loops. Very well maintained. Clearly marked signage. Overall a lovely experience.

I have ridden the Great Wall, Skinny, and Brown Wave. Very good trail system with all types of terrain. My favorite is the brown wave because of the roller coaster feel I get.

Really fun and well built but there were big chunks of Broken up rock on the trails that if you're going to fast and not being very smart you'll end up running down the trail with your bike out from underneath you

Some of the smoothest, fastest and most fun trails I've ridden this. Went as a group ride and I believe we did 3 of the 6 trails (Skinny, Brown Wave and Great Wall) and it was AWESOME. Some for everybody at every skill level