Congaree Swamp

Congaree Swamp is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hopkins, SC that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and canoeing and is accessible from September until May.

canoeing

I've heard this national park referred to as the worst national park in America. I haven't been to all 59, but I have been to a dozen or so, and this is by far and away the worst that I've been to.

It's a great hike; very scenic. But beware of the snakes sunning themselves along the trail. Look ahead closely before walking an looking up. And you will look up with the amazingly huge trees along the way.

I graded this "trail" only on the condition of the surface. There are a few boards starting to come up. Those that are not sure-footed may want to be aware of this to prevent a fall. The boardwalk is made out of wood and has benches scattered throughout for ones needing to rest or watch whatever may be out there. I didn't get to walk the eastern side of the boardwalk because it is closed for storm repairs.

Very unique place...amazing trees with wonderful wildlife. I saw several beautiful pileated woodpeckers near the boardwalk.

From the Visitor center you can take the Low boardwalk trail down to the Weston Lake Loop trail and back along the Elevated Boardwalk or the Sims trail for a beautiful hike. That is, if the water is too high which it was the day we went. The Low boardwalk was flooded, the Elevated boardwalk was closed for repairs and the Sims trail was also covered with running water. Suggest you call the park before you go to make sure the trails are open and, even if they say they are, I suggest taking waterproof boots. I do plan on coming back since the scenery is fantastic.

Thank goodness we were here when it was nice outside; in the heat and humidity of the summer, this has to be a mosquito-infested swamp. The trail and boardwalk and maintained well, but I'm honestly surprised this is categorized as a national park. It feels MUCH more like a state park. The drive in takes you through some pretty rundown areas, and the hike itself was uneventful and mildly boring. Meh.

Pretty neat hike with some huge trees. Probably a favorite hike in Columbia. Saw a family of armadillos along the trail (don't pet, spread diseases!).

This is an well put together trail. The trails are well marked out. The walk way like bridges let you walk in the swamp area. Snakes, Turtles,Frogs , Birds and wildlife light up this walk through beauty. Last time we were there? It was spring. Water was high, and we had to turn around. But it's just the greatest walk with nature!

Very cool trails, very impressed by the bald cypress trees. Went in late April so mosquitoes and snakes were bountiful. KEEP YOUR DOG ON THE LEASH and STAY ON THE TRAIL. My dog leads the way and almost stepped on some black snakes and shortly after, a cotton mouth. Besides that, the swamp is beautiful, saw some of the biggest trees I've ever seen. Also, saw some very big woodpeckers.

On the day we went high humidity and the mosquito level was at WAR ZONE. Thought it was funny that there was a sign for this. We used deep woods repellant for us AND our children but they would attack our heads or bite through clothes. Keep moving. All the red and black orb weavers were cool. Couldn't go ten feet without seeing one. The hike is easy and perfect length for kids.

Great trails, Mosquitos can be ruthless so keep that in mind! Some of the oldest and tallest trees in SC are located here. beautiful cypress trees and swamp land makes you feel in another world.

Pretty nice place, there some great thing to see. i saw wild boar around the trails and red headed woodpeckers.

Great swamp trail mostly on a boardwalk. I've also done the guided "Owl Prowl" where a ranger takes you on the trail at night. Check the website for dates. If you go on the summer, don't forget insect repellent'

Great trail!! I took it in early November and there were no nosquitoes. Most of the trail is lifted off the ground and you hike on a boardwalk. there are some parts that have no boardwalk but remember your markers. They are on the trees. It is easy to get lost so they put them on the trees about 6-7 feet high. Leaves cover the trails very easily. I learned my lesson and the meaning of "stay on the trail". I went off to get closer to the water and to look at the big grey egrets and ran into a red belly snake. Folks said it was non-venomous but looking at those beady eyes was no joke. Its a great trail and there were educational groups out the day I went. This is also the place where they shot scenes of Mel Gibson's Patriot. Cool!

It has a nice boardwalk that is handicap accessible so it's great for someone who may be disabled. The trails after the boardwalk do get a little boring as there isn't much change in surroundings. The wild life is pretty nice saw wild pigs and turkey