Buncombe Trail

Buncombe Trail is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Whitmire, SC that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Trail is well-marked. Lots of

Steve, I'm glad you found the trails were well marked. I added many trail markers (numbered stickers) to available and needed places a couple years ago after I had gotten turned around a few times.There is Hunting and Horseback riding. The Palmetto Trail passes through too.

Buncombe is made up of several trails. The outer trail is about 26 miles. However, it is possible to take several trails and shorten the trip. This past weekend we took a ~18 mile track from the TH on the blue trail, to the green then white trails, We came back the gray to green and back to the TH on the blue trail. With several small exceptions the trails are well marked. It looks like they have even started to put up mileage markers in places. The major problem we had was lack of water. We only found one spot on the White trail with running water. Its been a dry year in SC. So if you go this fall be sure to bring plenty of water. Also it is hunting season so there was a great deal of hunting going on. I would suggest every hiker to wear orange. We are just getting into multi night overnight hiking and this was a good place to practice. I can see us going back and completing the entire loop. If you live near the area I would recommend it.