Stepstone Falls via Ben Utter Trail

Stepstone Falls via Ben Utter Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near West Greenwich, RI that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Stepstone Falls Backpack Area is a 0.6 mile out and back trail located near West Greenwich, Rhode Island. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

This trail was wonderful and clearly marked. We were notified of the orange clothing requirement a mile into the trail.

The trail was very pretty but swarming with bugs because of the water. So much so that you are practically tripping over roots and rocks waving bugs away from your face. It was also very hard to find. Maybe early August is not the best time of year for this particular trail.

the falls were almost totally dry but its really nice out there.
This trail also has a lost of up and down my activity tracker showed I climbed 13 floors
great walk

Nice easy hike. Beautiful

Beautiful views. Easy for dogs and isn't too busy.

Beautiful day!

Nice hike for me my wife and 5mo old girl

I'm sure I went farther than .6 miles, taking the Ben Utter trail as mentioned in another post.
It's sad to see some of the photos posted here.
The picnic area looks much different structurally than it did just a few years ago.

Great hike - pretty easy and even though we'd just received a ton of rain, it had already dried off for the most part.
Saw a couple of folks but hardly anyone and it seems like the area is either very well maintained, well-respected, or pretty unknown.

I completed this hike this morning (5/25/15) with my family. We parked on Plain Rd and hiked up the yellow blazed trail to Falls River Rd (site of the falls), and then returned to Plain Rd using the blue blazed trail, most of which is on an old road. With a little side exploration the total hike was just about 4 miles. This is a relatively easy hike with large sections going along the stream. The falls themselves are very scenic and a great spot to visit. We had a very nice day and even on Memorial Day with good weather it wasn't overly crowded. Excellent hike.

Dec 15, 2012- My Boyfriend & I really enjoyed the falls here! As it is winter & chilly we still had a great time- we want to bring my girls back here either in the spring or Fall. The waterfall was right where you can park & the trails were well marked.

A beautiful trail and a beautiful spot! The falls are the northern terminus of the yellow-blazed Tippecansett Trail. Please note that in winter the stretch of Falls River Road leading from Escoheag Hill Road may be closed.

Take this along with the Ben Utter Trail, and be sure to take the River Trail path. That route is easily one of the most attractive spots in the state. At the head is a waterfall. Your route will take you through the forest, along a river that was once the site of a sawmill. Traces of that sawmill still exist.

At the head of the Ben Utter Trail, you have a number of options. You can hook up with the Breakheart Trail to Penny Hill, or follow the Escoheag Trail, or you can turn around and enjoy it all over again. Either way, you will have an excellent adventure.