Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge Trail

Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Middletown, RI that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

beach

This easy seaside hike is pleasant any day of the spring, summer, or fall but on an unseasonably warm January winter day, if was exceptionally wonderful. Deer abound on this refuge as well as a monitored coyote pack. Migrating wildlife of all sorts are seen here regularly.

Beautiful scenery! I choose to run this trail in the morning, there was low traffic and very quiet! Easy run, joined with great views! Highly recommended for all levels of runner and anyone looking to share a walk with mother nature!

Very nice. Volunteer Lori very helpful and nice.

This place is truly amazing. I havent met the crabby reiser miser , but they will not be escorting me off these trails by any means. The trails are beautiful and at dusk are overtaken by many many deer. To the previous hiker who was harassed by the reisers , dont let these people ruin what is a great place for a relaxing walk. Go back again and enjoy. Its also a beautiful place to go early in the am for sunrise.

Volunteer Barbara Reiser and husband think they own Sachuest Point trail land and they have right to "escort" people off the trail! I was peacefully walking my dog, missed no pets sign, first time - when Reiser's husband runs up and charges me, screaming "Get out off the trail NOW!" Confused and bewildered by being verbally accosted by this stranger after peacefully walking on the trail, I questioned his outrage. If asked respectfully to leave, I would have - no problem. But he then tried to "escort" me off the trail, walking at my heels, stopping when I stopped- TELLING me he was "escorting me off the trail". BARBARA REISER then walks up and calls police saying "I am refusing to leave." I was not refusing to leave, I was refusing to be TREATED LIKE THAT and I was DEFINITELY refusing to be "escorted off the trail" by a couple of lunatics! BEWARE OF THIS ABUSIVE NASTY PAIR WHO THINK THEY OWN FEDERAL LAND!

Excellent

This place is absolutely beautiful! I definitely will be returning! Highly recommend!

Very Easy Walk, NO shelter from overhead sun. Great views! wild(?) life will let you get very close. I was less than 5 feet from a rabbit before he hopped away, not quickly.

A very nice trail, though on the easy side. If you want to have a great run, start down by the beach, run along till you hit the rocks, then rock hop (builds agility/strength, and is pretty darned fun) till you get to the refuge. Once at the refuge you can go whichever way you want, but I found the trails mostly flat and relatively boring (view is amazing though, especially at sunset). To have a fun trip back to the start, head down one of the "fisherman's paths" they have listed back to the rocks, and then rock hop your way home!

A gentle walk through a well-tended bird preserve is always nice, but this one has the added attraction of panoramic views of the Sakonnet River and the Atlantic Ocean.

That having been said, dress warmly at this time of the year, because its position leaves it absolutely battered by cold wind. Also, be careful on the rocks. Just this past week, a fisherman was swept away by a freak wave and drowned.

This is a great spot for early morning fitness walks. The trails, Ocean View Loop (1.5 miles) and Flint Rock Loop(1.2) follow the coastline and provide outstanding views of the water and portions of Newport, Middletown and Little Compton. There are numerous deer and other wildlife throughout the refuge. Very few people use the trails between 6 and 8am so it's an ideal place to find peace and quiet.