Pachaug Trail

Pachaug Trail is a 7.6 mile out and back trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible from April until November.

beach

1/22/2017: Hiked a total of 8.33 miles. Started at Beach Pond parking lot on route 165. Followed blue blazes into Connecticut to Basset Mill Rd. Followed Basset Mill Rd to Old Voluntown Rd. From Voluntown Rd. followed yellow blaze trail until it met up with the blue blaze trail again. Great hike. It had a little bit of everything.

Fun trail, lots of blue and yellow to follow. We went on a VERY windy day and the parts of the trail by the pond were intense!! Found a "registration mailbox" midway through and filled out a page in the notebook, it was awesome! Parked at the beach parking and climbed up through the trees and quickly found a marked trail and began following blue. Would def go back to explore some more!

This trail is actually 8.5 miles and is an intermediate hike with some areas of rocks/climbing. The trail markers were hard to find or a bit confusing at points. I recommend giving yourself plenty of time for this hike and relying on a GPS or handbook for this hike. A beginner myself, I relied on this app and lost daylight before the end of my hike which made for a scary experience!

I wrote a review earlier this month and then went back again on 5/16/15 to complete this loop. Well to make a long story short we did the loop and ended up hiking 13.75 miles. I used GPS and a trail map and still had some issues, not with the Pachaug portion of the trail but more so with the Tippencansett portion. My loop ended up going north of Tippencansett Pond and brought me to Escoheag Hill Rd for a short period and then the water tower and the yellow blazed Tippencansett Trail to head back south. Somehow we lost the trail but eventually got back on after some trail blazing! In any event we had a fun day and I completed my longest hike to date.

I did part of this trail last week and went back today and did the full loop. It is a beautiful hike with lots of variety. It's nice to be close to the water and then loop back into the woods and see the big rocks and creeks. It was a lot of fun! We saw some different birds, heard woodpeckers and caught some red tree frogs!

After you get to the boat ramp and hike for about a mile and a half further there is a span of the trail that doesn't have blue markers that you are supposed to follow (there are blue markers but the head off of the trail map). We had the trail map printed out and tracked our progress with a phone GPS so we didn't get lost. Eventually the trail showed yellow markers (you are just walking on a dirt road for about 1.5-2 miles) and then eventually they turn yellow/blue when you go back into the woods for the last mile.

Overall it was a great hike; though it would be helpful for it to be marked a little better for that stretch! We were thankful for our GPS for those couple of trouble spots!

One of my favorites! marking can be a little confusing at some points. also goes by the the oldest historical cemetery in RI. great elevation changes, nice veiws, multiple options for routes. all around win!

I completed a portion of this trail yesterday (5/2/15) and will be back to complete the full loop!

I parked across the street from the main Beach Pond park lot in a dirt lot. I crossed the street and went to the right a very short distance, and then the trail was to the left and was marked blue/yellow. I followed the blue Pachaug Trail almost all the way past the boat ramp to the section where you turn right to start the loop back, but I mistakenly thought I overshot the turn and ended up following the blue trail back all the way to the "mailbox", and then cut across to the yellow trail for a very small loop to the start. All in all I ended up doing 10.5 miles in 4.5 hours and it was a great hike! In the section of the trial I did there were some pretty challenging sections but nothing too crazy. Some steep/rocky sections and definitely not a trail for small children or people with any type of limiting physical ailments. I did have to stop and backtrack short distance a few times to get back on trail but overall I thought the trail was well marked. I agree the full loop as laid out here must be more like 8.5 miles v. 6.4 miles.

I started at 6:45 AM in the morning and finished at 11:15 AM and literally did not see one other hiker. I can't wait to get back!