North South Trail

North South Trail is a 78 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Charlestown, RI that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

78.0 miles 800 feet Point to Point

beach

Rhode Island's only Long Trail. Traverses the western boundary of the state from Charlestown to Burrrillville, RI The trail traverses along wooded trails, country roads and old cart paths. It links several other trails together with some great views and natural wonders. Can be backpacked ( With some stealth camping) or sectioned hiked in about 5 or 6 days.

Section homing the trail with Smokey and Lulu - my black retrievers - perhaps we'll meet on the trail

On 11/14/15 I completed the approximately 4 mile northern-most section of the trail which runs from Buck Hill Road in Burriville up to the Massachusetts border. I parked at the observation tower on Buck Hill Road. This is a really nice section of trail which I incorporated into a larger loop of approximately 13 miles using the Buck Hill Management Area trails. Visited the tri-state marker at the northwest corner of RI where it borders Massachusetts and CT. That whole area is worth a visit. Quiet wooded area, some wood trails and dirt roads. Feels remote which I like. Not overly challenging but fun area to hike.

I started the North-South trail and will be doing reviews on sections. The first section I did was the first 10 miles from Blue Shutters Beach to Burdickville Rd. I am doing gear testing, (adjustments, weight, etc)
Word of warning, DO NOT do a full weight (40 lb) pack the very first day out for the season. I was dead sore that evening, anyways, the first ten miles was quite easy and flat. The Rt 1 crossing is safer now that there is a cross walk with signal. I got the Trail book from the library and TBH, the trail is so well marked, you don't even need it. It was good for a reference point though. This is a very good start to do practice hikes etc as it runs through the Burling Game state park. Future reviews on later mileage.