Duval Trail

Duval Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wakefield, RI that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail was established by the South Kingstown Land Trust, which protected numerous parcels of forested land in the area. The terrain is surprisingly varied with numerous hillocks and hollows in the remnants of an eroded terminal moraine from the last ice age. The trail passes through a very old and interesting cemetery and winds through an open oak and pine forest, and through thick stands of mountain laurel. The understory is fairly clear, making it easy to spot birds and other animals. There is one small overlook providing a nice view of Block Island.

Great trail system, well-marked, and with map stands throughout. I loved the portions of the trail that hiked along ridges. Cool cemetery but that's kinda it as far as views and thats my downside.

Great trail and really well marked. Maps at each trail loop intersection. The terrain changes quite a bit and quickly with rolling hills, some quite steep. Wouldn't recommend for small children. Nice work out.

Nice walk with different scenery throughout. Some parts of the trail are not well marked.

Truly gorgeous trail, not what I was expecting at all. I got turned around on the red blazed trail and ended up running it twice before finding my way to the blue blazed trail. Not that it isn't well marked I was following a dog. The North end has some changes due to erosion and some of the hills could use some water bars.

This trail represents my first hike after weeks of miserable weather. I needed a moderate trail to get myself going again, and Duval served the purpose nicely. Although relatively short, it is rugged and glacial, giving me a respectable workout. Because water is a big payoff for me, I was especially pleased with the scenic outlook that affords a view of the ocean and Block Island.

Some notes on the route: the Rhode Hikes blog suggests that the trail can be difficult to follow. That apparently has been fixed by additional markings. Also, there are new loops that do not yet appear on the map available online. But, do not worry. The updated maps are posted at every turning point.

Really peaceful place, I only walked to the end of the grave yard and back as It was my fist time going here and I wasn't really prepared for the hike, but still beautiful. Great for the history lovers, the grave yard is quite old and much larger than I expected. Many members of old local families are buried there(Browning and Perry to name a few). A decent trail map can be found at
PS: Grass is rather tall in some spots so, watch out for ticks.

This is an excellent trail to hike at the end of a long day, traversing a fairly open oak and pine forest. The trail twists and turns over the ridges and through fern-filled hollows of a glacial moraine, and includes a small but nice scenic overlook of the Atlantic and Block Island far offshore. In addition to interesting and unique habitat, the trail passes through a very old Quaker Burial Ground.