Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond

Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Greenwich, RI that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Part of the Big River Management area in West Greenwich, RI, the trails around Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond are plentiful and winding. Trail options range from a quick walk around the pond to many hours exploring various loops and side trails.

From the parking area, we took the trail on the right side to Carr's pond, returning to the parking lot the same way. The trail was adequately marked and easy, except for a very wet swampy area. We managed to skirt along the edge of the trail there and walk over some downed trees without getting our feet wet. Part of the fun! We also passed the remains of an old car and stone foundation on the way to Carr's pond, which is pristine and beautiful! Out and back, it took about 1 1/2 hours. Would recommend taking a gps, as we needed to refer to it a couple of times on the return.

Beautiful day for a hike with my dog.

We are definitely coming back with the canoe. It's a nice hoke in the woods with options for good short hikes or longer ones.

great trail for an afternoon hike with our dogs. It took about 2 hours to complete at a leisurely pace

Very fun. Lots of different side trails....crossing swamp was cool.

Nice fall ride

What a nice, cool, crisp, non-buggy, early fall morning! What a great area to hike in! Completed an approximate 10 mile loop this morning (9/26/15) and there are so many options in this area. I bought the Great Swamp Press map of Big River which helps plan whatever excursion you may want to do here. I started at the intersection of New London Turnpike and Hopkins Hill Road, went east onto the dirt road continuation of the New London Turnpike, and then headed south and then east again to Carr Pond. I went north completed an almost full loop around the pond, then went south across Hopkins Hill Road and explored that area some, before heading back northeast to complete loop. Difficult to give trails and details because many are unblazed and there are many side trails. The map, my compass watch, and MapMyHike helped keep me on track. The swamp area between Tarbox Pond and Carr Pond is awesome, Carr Pond itself is beautiful, and there are other swamp and wooded areas that I hiked which were really nice. I will try to upload some photos. I think the sights, great weather and new areas for me made this a really enjoyable hike. Saw a couple of people on bikes and some other walking dogs but not a great amount of activity. Really nice hike!

Really gorgeous area. Easy main trail plus a bunch of shoot-offs. Shame no one takes care of the trail at all, since there is trash everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. Broken glass all over the place, so careful with your kids or dogs.