Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond

Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Greenwich, Rhode Island that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Part of the Big River Management area in West Greenwich, RI, the trails around Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond are plentiful and winding. Trail options range from a quick walk around the pond to many hours exploring various loops and side trails.

1 hour ago

Nice hike. Not very difficult but long enough for some exercise if you do the full 4 miles or so. The only thing I would warn people about is the inconsiderate dog owners who refuse to leash their dogs.
I saw several people there today some of who had dogs with them. About half of them had their dogs unleashed. You know the situation, your walking with your family and LEASHED dog, when around the corner comes an unleashed dog that of course is going to come right up to your dog sniffing, then the barking starts, then the idiot owner says" she's friendly, don't worry." Meanwhile my wife nervous, kids are a little scared and I'm pissed off. Some people think the rules apply to them i guess. Thanks for screwing up an otherwise great afternoon.

It's a bit treacherous crossing the streams with random planks of unstable wood. I had two of my sons and myself step into the river on a chilly day.

From the parking area, we took the trail on the right side to Carr's pond, returning to the parking lot the same way. The trail was adequately marked and easy, except for a very wet swampy area. We managed to skirt along the edge of the trail there and walk over some downed trees without getting our feet wet. Part of the fun! We also passed the remains of an old car and stone foundation on the way to Carr's pond, which is pristine and beautiful! Out and back, it took about 1 1/2 hours. Would recommend taking a gps, as we needed to refer to it a couple of times on the return.

Beautiful day for a hike with my dog.

We are definitely coming back with the canoe. It's a nice hoke in the woods with options for good short hikes or longer ones.