Carolina Management Area North Loop Trail

Carolina Management Area North Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wyoming, RI that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked here on 11/27/15. I parked at the hunter check station on Pine Hill Rd. I completed 2 loops - first I completed an approximately 4 mile loop south of Pine Hill Rd, then another approximately 4 mile loop north of Pine Hill Rd. I used the RI DEM maps to complete the hikes. These hikes are also in Ken Weber's book Weekend Walks in RI. Most of the route I used was grass/dirt roads or wide trails. Not much elevation change. Both north and south portions use parts of the North/South Trail. Some beautiful areas. Did not see another hiker - only 2 hunters.

Outstanding stretch of wilderness in RI. Be careful in the fall and winter as this management area is very popular with hunters for the upland game and deer seasons.

I want to report a down tree near the stone bridge on the State land side in Carolina Management. I've met some of the people who keep the trail passable and hope that they get this message.

To some, Carolina North is very daunting. Officially, at least some parts of it form the North-South Trail. However, at this section, the North-South Trail branches off into "hikers only" and multi-use trails, and is very lightly blazed. Other portions of it are unblazed.

The trail guides do not provide a great deal of reassurance to you. The best bet is to get the Great Swamp Press' map. That, and you can follow the path I set for you, which will allow you to circumnavigate the area. (Of course, I make any and all disclaimers of liability there ever have been, any time, any where.)

Start at the Carolina Trout Pond area. You will need to park right up near the pond, then double back to the trailhead area on foot. You will know it's the right one because it is a barred gate, and has the North-South Trail blue blazes. Almost immediately, you will hit a fork in the trail. Take the right fork (Shippee Trail) -- which I have marked with orange surveyor tape on one of the trees. (The left fork is your return route.) Shortly, you will hit another fork. Take the next right (Essex Trail) -- again, I have marked it with my tape. You will hit another fork almost immediately. This time, go left (marked again) -- the Laurel Trail. (Going left will keep you on the Essex Trail, which leads you out to the road.)

Continue down the Laurel Trail until you reach the road. Turn left. You will soon reach the Meadowbrook Trail, which is the multi-use portion of the North-South Trail, and will be blue-blazed. Follow this trail until you reach a fork. The blue blazes will tell you to take a left. Do it. You will shortly reach another fork. At this point, the blue blazes will indicate a right turn. Take the left -- again, see my orange tape. This puts you on the Jerue Trail. Follow the Jerue Trail until the next fork. Follow my orange tape again -- this puts you on the Halbrek Trail. You will soon see the barred gate through which you came.