Breakheart Loop Trail

Breakheart Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Exeter, RI that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail, more easy then moderate. Beautiful area walking through a variety of tree species and different terrain. Stonewalls abound as the trail follows some old colonial roads. Nice area for birding or an enjoyable stroll through the woods.

A beautiful trail. One of my favorites so far. Beautiful beach. Went with my husband and we had a great time. We did 3 miles. In a little over an hour. We will definitely be back soon! Also we saw a snake on the trail and a couple chipmunks and an abandoned rusted antique car in the woods.

Great trail! It had a little bit of everything you would want in a hike. Some parts were narrow with boulders to negotiate. Other parts had wide open dirt roads. Make sure to keep an eye on the map so you don't veer too far off course, especially when you loop back.

Great trail. It's nothing too difficult. Overall little bit of everything. Will be back to better my times!

Check out this track on AllTrails:

Great walk good workout
The trails are poorly marked and you might want to bring a gps enabled deivice
there are a couple places you have to turn onto other trails to follow the loop All trails shows
if I had not brought my cell phone and checked the map my 4mi walk would have become much much longer

A little of everything liked it!

Half of the trail is on what seems to be old logging roads - wide and mostly easy going. The other half is narrow and rocky. Very pretty hike but wouldn't have a brought the stroller if I'd know that! I carried our little one the second half while my husband fought with the stroller. We'd do it again but with the baby in a carrier the whole way!

Easy going trail with a mix of dirt roads and windy trails circling the pond.

Awesome trail. Different routes to take along the way but easy to follow. Great for the dogs and perfect for families. I will definitely be coming back!

Beautiful hike very tranquil

Cool trail. Had a mix of vehicle traveled paths and a little more challenging trail section.

It was nice, very easy trail. Family friendly, large maintained trails.

Beautiful pine carpeted trail with waterfalls and bridges lucked out with a 46° January day recommend it highly

Beautiful pine
carpet trail with waterfalls and bridges great 46° weather in January recommend it highly

Beautiful trail. Easy walk with 6 and 7 year old kids.

Scenery rivaled some of the best in RI. Peaceful and tranquil. However the bugs were unreal. Incredibly frustrating. Looking forward to returning with snowshoes in a few months.

I completed an 8.5 mile loop on 7/18/15 that started near Breakheart Pond and utilized other trails in this area. This is a good option for folks that may want to complete a longer loop. Instead of driving all the way to the pond I parked at the Frosty Hollow Pond Fishing Area on Frosty Hollow Rd (on the right just before a wood bridge). I then took the white blazed Baton Trail north out of the lot toward the pond. This is a fun section of trail (approx 1 mile) up to Breakheart Pond that partially runs along a stream. At one point you have to take a left to stay on this trail instead of going straight on a yellow blazed trial. Once I hit the pond I went right and eventually saw the sign on the left for the Breakheart Trail which is yellow blazed. I then followed the yellow blazes across the dirt Matteson Plain Rd and continued until I hit the white blazed Shelter trail, which I took and which eventually took me to Plain Road. I took a left on Plain Road and walked a short distance until the white blazes turned right into a meadow and then further south through a section of woods, where it eventually exited on Frosty Hollow Rd right near the fishing area where I was parked. A nice loop on a nice day! I will try to upload my track from Mapmyhike.