Big River Trail

Big River Trail is a 17.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Greenwich, RI that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I'm in the process of exploring all of the trails a little at a time. Loving it!!

Hiked and geocached with the dog. Beautiful area! Lots of solitude. Saw a lot of cars, but only one person (mountain biking) during my 2 hour, 7.5 mile hike.

Great for a quick ride in the afternoon.

It's a great set of trails - about moderate. Great in the early morning when there are no people.
+ lots of trails - things to see.
- Not clearly marked so you need to use google maps.

Great!!!

geocaching

I like it moderate and fun

Nice trail. A lot of trash. We read about sawmill ruins but couldn't find them. A lot of bike trails.

Lovely!

An unfortunate amount of litter with no clear trail markings.

Trails are not marked, and a lot trash. Other than that a good hike

I 'd actually give this 3.5 stars. Completed this morning (8/23/15). Made this into a 5.5 mile hike. I bought a Big River Management Area map from Great Swamp Press which was a great help because there are so many un-blazed trails. The map, a compass, and MapMyHike allowed me to hike and pick the trails I wanted with some degree of confidence. I parked near the gate of Wincheck Gun Club. To get there I went up the gravel road of "Old" New London Turnpike, which I entered where it intersects with Henry Brown Rd in West Greenwich. After a short drive up the road you hit a gate and I parked there. Security at the gun club seems tight but I had no issue parking outside their gate. I hiked up the dirt road (turnpike) and after a short way went north (left) and then across Sweet Sawmill Rd and then northwest to Capwell Mill Pond. I then went east and then south to complete a loop back town to Old New London Turnpike. The trails seem mostly old wood roads/trails and are easy but nice to hike on. Sections I did not have have much in the way of elevation changes. . Bugs were intense, even with spray. Spray works but swarming gnats are still a pain. It's not a huge deal but for me it is a distraction which takes away from the overall experience. As I got close to the pond you could hear traffic due to the proximity to Rt. 3. Only saw 2 other people the whole morning, a father/son on mountain bikes. In addition to the peaceful trails a hi-lite is the old Hopkins Family cemetery, with graves going back to the early 1800's. This is on the turnpike on the right maybe a half mile up from where the gate is (from where I started). I will be back to explore some other areas, perhaps around Carr Pond.

Absolutely a great short hike. Some flat areas, a few hills that aren't so strenuous, and some water views at the beginning. Be sure to bring water for the pup! Have to memorize the trails if you go enough, as the trails don't have many markers but do run into each other quite a bit.

Best non technical mountain biking in RI. Fast and flat, good for hard tails and beginners. Gotta hit up the roller coaster trail if you ride here. It lives up to its name.

Our first hike with the Appalachian Mountain Club (RI) was at Big River Management Area in October. Blaze orange is a must as there were hunters everywhere and the sound of gunshots all around us. We even came across one "bagged" doe during the hike. Other than the daunting prospect of becoming rifle fodder, the hike itself was great. The trails were well-kept (and there were many more than a 2.3mi loop) and the historic sites and points of interest were many. I'd recommend this hike to anyone stout of heart and remind them to WEAR THE BLAZE ORANGE!!