Valley Forge Historical Trail

Valley Forge Historical Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near King of Prussia, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Valley Forge Historic Trail was put together by the Cradle of Liberty Boy Scout of America Council and the National Park Service. This hike is designed to offer recreation to adults and youth while providing a lesson on the history of the park. Scouts can earn a medal for completing the trail. The hike starts and ends at the Valley Forge Visitor's Center and covers 9 miles. Hiking this trail as intended requires a map and compass, along with the skills to use them (orienteering is required). There is little access to water on the trail, although water can be obtained about halfway through at the train station restrooms. Bring plenty of water to drink anyhow. For this trail to be experienced at its fullest, a Boy Scouts of America trail booklet can be purchased at the visitors center for under $3. The book provides a map, instructions on the steps to take, azimuths necessary to stay on course, and historical information to enhance your visit. Terrain- The terrain of the trail includes, fields, forests, paved paths, dirt trails, and many monuments and historical sites, which are all situated on rolling hills.

Once you get into the woods the experience improves significantly. Outside of the woods trails are mostly pathed. Much better for jogging. Still historic houses, and other sites to see. Overall worth the trip.

It was a very beautiful and scenic trail. The wildflowers are beautiful and smell amazing. I enjoyed watching the birds and butterflies as well! The only down side for me was the portion of the trail right along the road, it was loud and not very peaceful but other than that I loved it!

Beautiful surroundings. The best part is once you're in woods!

Nice walk. Many people. All asphalt trail. 5.78 miles on loop.

canoeing

I went on a really nice day, I ended up walking 5 miles! The trail is all paved and very nice!!!!

Good one for beginners.

Long walk, some confusing sign ways, but still very rewarding

for below review :)

Annie - I did Mount Misery/Mount Joy today too. I think I did exactly what you did at the fork and ended up down along Valley Creek. However, I had the whole day to kill and really wanted to do the larger loop, so I went back up and went right at the fork. There was a sign there but it was very hard to follow. I missed it the first time. Definitely go back one day, I think it was worth it and the the second half of the trail on Mount Joy was really a really good hike as well. I followed the link below for trail directions. It was pretty clear except for the fork part, and when you get to the bottom of mount misery, there was no parking lot. You just cross the road and go straight up the driveway past the estate.

Hiked Mount Misery while here. Had wanted to do the big loop, but once up there and at the fork, went left and followed the trail and somehow ended up back at the road at the bottom of the mount... Disappointed there wasn't proper signage to help those that want to stay on the established trails. For those in the future, I think we went wrong at the creek: We took the trail that went up the bank and to the left, but I think the real trail is up the bank and to the right? Don't know for sure, that's my best guess.

Hiked Mount Misery in the fall. Great difficult workout. Then decided to take Mount Joy back thinking it would be easier. No go! Almost as tough as Mount Misery

Great views, and easy hiking. Paved trail around park is 5 miles.

Very easy and mostly paved pathways. Lots of joggers and recreational folks - less of a hike than a very nice park to walk.

This trail is a great way for kids and adults to learn about our nation's history and get some exercise. I have done it in sun and snow and enjoyed both trips. The trail does seem long by the end of the day because it is mostly on paved paths. My dogs were really barking from pounding the pavement. If you go when there is an event, the trip is all the better. Re-enactments happen at different times and really bring the history to life.