Thousand Steps

Thousand Steps is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Union, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Great views along the way and at the end of this hike. Great work out also. This is a very strenuous hike. It is equivelant to a 1 hour stair master workout. There are plenty of places to rest though and look at the great views that this hike has to offer. This is also a geocacher friendly hike.

It's a really nice hike, very populated. I wouldn't do it more than once though.

Cool hike with a nice history. The actual steps don't take that long - maybe around 30-45min with a few breaks. Once you get to the top, there are some cool views and building ruins that are worth checking out. The steps themselves are an ascent, so moderate-mildly strenuous would be my rating. Good day hike.

This was a fun hour or so hike with my sister and kiddos before returning to Huntingdon to watch the 4th of July Fireworks. Temperatures were nice would not want to do this on a really hot day, view in the autumn would be beautiful.

Much harder than I expected- but almost 90 didn't help. Would definitely do it again!

Awesome hike. The family really enjoyed exploring at the top of the mountain.

Nice afternoon there is an information station about 100 yards up the trail

It was great but challenging with my toddler in his backpack on my back. As steep as it was, he couldn't walk most of it. But my 8 year old loved it.

Great hike. Definitely a workout but the views are worth it! There are many geocaches on the trails as well which we enjoyed finding.

We've done the steps half a dozen times. my friend's 24 yr old daughter suggested we continue to the top of the mountain and follow the orange blazed trees and it would make a loop taking about 4 hrs. It was not an easy climb, mostly switchbacks to get to the top. we then continued following the marks once there.
Unfortunately there was no loop. The trail ended after 4 1/2 hrs on a hard road two miles from Millcreek and then five miles to the parking spot at thousand steps. My fault for blindly following and not researching first. It all
turned out ok as a nice lady gave us a ride the last five miles.
Even if we placed another car at the end of the trail, i would not do the hike again. Not the most pleasant terrain.
You had to constantly watch your foot steps so as not to twist an ankle. The young one did anyway. I gave it four stars for the workout it gave my old carcass and the phenomenal view once we got to the top of the mountain.

Thanks to the folks who shared their experiences! It is a great cardio. Do dress appropriately for the climb, be vigilant about where you are stepping. And if you have weak knees and ankles (like me), bring a tape or wrap for support. A walking stick will prove invaluable as well. The good news is that there are several rest stops along the way.

The last 200 steps felt like forever but we made it to and fro Thousand Steps with our backpacks (25 lbs) as part of our training for a trip. We also hiked the path behind the old building structure to see the quarry carvings on the mountain sides, we then enjoyed the spectacular un-obstructed view of the Juniata River, the train and the town below from the Ledge Quarry. It was worth it as it made the following day’s backpack training hike of Laurel Hill Ridge Trail much easier.

Great exercise on the way up. It's a little hard to find the parking area, which is closer to Mt. Union than Huntingdon. 'Nice views at the top of the steps which actually number 1037.