The Pinnacle Trail

The Pinnacle Trail is a 13 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great hike on portions of the Appalachian Trail. Observatory is enroute to Pinnacle with outstanding views of Lehigh Valley and Interstate 78. Lots of wildlife to watch along the way. From the gate follow the road up to the Appalachian Trail, follow the white blazes through the switch backs then climb to the summit of Pulpit Rock then continue on the trail for about 2 miles then follow the blue blazed trail to the summit. Backtrack on the blue blazed trail from the summit and follow the Appalacian Trail towards Eckville. Once you hit an open meadow, a blue blaze trail will be on your left. Take this trail and it will bring you down to a reservior. Follow the reservior road back to the parking area.

Awesome hike but our loop was only 8.4 miles. Incredible views and a good workout on the AT Check out my full write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.

beautiful day hike. counter clockwise direction was a great choice. little rocky going up to Pinnacle and nice easier decent on the way down. many other friendly hikers on the trail. highly recommended. thumbs up

Fun day! Scrambles up the boulders were great, and the reward is an unexpectedly stunning view from Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle. Trail is rocky throughout, hell on boots and ankles. Descent along the fire roads is ho-hum, but my legs needed a break, anyway.

This is touted as a must-do day hike in the area. We did the shorter version of this, taking the Furnace Creek Trail back to the parking lot. The views are great, and the hike is easy enough that kids and older folks will do fine. I recommend ascending via the Pulpit Rock Trail, which is steeper, and coming back the other way for a relaxing return that's easier on the knees.

That said, I find the proximity to the interstate distracts from things a bit as you can hear cars when you're up on both the rocks. Nice and accessible from the Greater Philadelphia area, but I'm not sure it was worth the drive for me.

The views were amazing. If you climb down the rocks at the Pinnacle, there is a cave worth venturing into!

hike well worth the view

A great trail with so much to see. I did this with my family. My eight year old daughter and my five-year-old son were able to manage 9 Mile ...of course with some practice before hand. They did awesome and I was very proud of them. The views off the Pinnacle are spectacular totally worth the hike.

awesome

sweet hike
3.5 hours with two breaks at outlooks. a great way to spend half a day.

Two awesome views worth the hike. Go counterclockwise and hike the Pulpit Rock part side first

This trail is a herpetologists dream. I saw more snakes on this trail in the mid-to-late morning than I have seen on all trails I've hiked over the past several years combined. If this is not your cup of tea, you may want to sit this one out until the winter.

Wear good hiking boots. Lots of rocks and boulders to navigate. I took the counter-clockwise route and I would recommend the same. This allows you to climb the rockiest sections of the loop and descend smoother terrain. This trail also features 8 miles on the AT, which I love. You meet the most interesting people making their way North. The outer loop is about 9.6 miles. Enjoy!