The Pinnacle Trail

The Pinnacle Trail is a 13 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great hike on portions of the Appalachian Trail. Observatory is enroute to Pinnacle with outstanding views of Lehigh Valley and Interstate 78. Lots of wildlife to watch along the way. From the gate follow the road up to the Appalachian Trail, follow the white blazes through the switch backs then climb to the summit of Pulpit Rock then continue on the trail for about 2 miles then follow the blue blazed trail to the summit. Backtrack on the blue blazed trail from the summit and follow the Appalacian Trail towards Eckville. Once you hit an open meadow, a blue blaze trail will be on your left. Take this trail and it will bring you down to a reservior. Follow the reservior road back to the parking area.

It was great time with beautiful views!

lots of fun. met a few great people to enjoy my hike with between Pulpit Rock and Pinnacle overlook. Pretty neat observatory and I'm told the people are friendly and will even let you take a peek. just a reminder to wear good boots and keep an eye out for snakes. I only came across 3 black Rat Snakes which are non venomous but still a little startled when I almost stepped on one by accident.

I arrived here on a Saturday morning at 10:15. Parked at the Hamburg Reservoir and did a variation of this hike. The parking lot was not nearly as crowded as I thought it would be.It was a very hot and humid day, and I suppose that kept some folks away. I hiked up the stone road to the Furnace Creek Trail, which passes the Hamburg Reservoir. It is an ascent, but not nearly as tough a climb as the A/T is. Furnace Creek Trail is a wide woods road trail that dead ends at the Appalachian Trail. I turned right on the AT and followed directly to the Pinnacle. After spending some time at the Pinnacle and eating lunch on the rocks, I retraced my steps and went back the same way. It was about an 8 mile hike total for both ways. It took me about 3:45 total hike time. This includes lunch at the Pinnacle and photo taking.

Had fun both times I came here. First time to just pulpit and second time to pulpit, the pinnacle then back the same way. The views are awesome for sure, but there is generally a lot of people and for some reason everyone likes to sleep on the good viewing spots. (i do not recommend camping on or around the rocks, rattle snakes like rocks to warm up in the mornings).

We did an overnight trip, and it was amazing! So many side trails to explore off of. We turned our hike into about 15 miles. We went up the application trail ( started at the left of the reservoir hard to find the entrance but that's a good thing too because we were the only ones on this trail ) hiked up a few miles and made a right. went about a mile and a half to the helapad then made a right to come back down the mountain, came back down to the reservoir ( now on the opposite side) then walked back up the mountain on reservoir road ( not recommended... Boring straight up hike on blacktop ) once at the top we walked through the observatory and got to the pulpit, great views but so many people. Then headed across to the pinnacle not a bad hike at all gets a little rocky but not to bad ( AMAZING views and a cave we climbed down into.) you could hang out there all day! We camped a few miles back then hiked back out and explored the pinnacle first thing in the morning, there were no people out first thing the morning so it was very peaceful. We then hiked to the helapad and made a left back down to the parking lot. What an awesome trip, so worth it! I recommend an overnight because you can honestly miss so much! There are some trails that lead to rock fields which were very cool. Also some amazing small views off side trails as well. Don't just put your head down and hike, this place is truly beautiful!

Nice hike, not too difficult, but more than just a stroll in the woods. From the parking lot go up to the Pulpit Trail first, and then head up to the Pinnacle. Take the long trail down for an easier to navigate return trip. Be sure to take your time at the Pinnacle and look around.

Great hike, I've been here multiple times. The view at the top is worth it

Awesome hike but our loop was only 8.4 miles. Incredible views and a good workout on the AT Check out my full write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.

beautiful day hike. counter clockwise direction was a great choice. little rocky going up to Pinnacle and nice easier decent on the way down. many other friendly hikers on the trail. highly recommended. thumbs up

Fun day! Scrambles up the boulders were great, and the reward is an unexpectedly stunning view from Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle. Trail is rocky throughout, hell on boots and ankles. Descent along the fire roads is ho-hum, but my legs needed a break, anyway.

This is touted as a must-do day hike in the area. We did the shorter version of this, taking the Furnace Creek Trail back to the parking lot. The views are great, and the hike is easy enough that kids and older folks will do fine. I recommend ascending via the Pulpit Rock Trail, which is steeper, and coming back the other way for a relaxing return that's easier on the knees.

That said, I find the proximity to the interstate distracts from things a bit as you can hear cars when you're up on both the rocks. Nice and accessible from the Greater Philadelphia area, but I'm not sure it was worth the drive for me.

The views were amazing. If you climb down the rocks at the Pinnacle, there is a cave worth venturing into!