The Mocanaqua Loop Trail

DIFFICULTY 6 reviews

The Mocanaqua Loop Trail is a 15 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Shickshinny, PA. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

This is one of my favorite places to hike in our local area. I have spent countless hours here. Many places to explore, you can even find rock climbers on a weekend just "hanging around." This is an old mining area, old abandoned buildings. The only thing I do not like is the trail markers are faded. Take plenty of water. I believe the whole loop is approx. 13 miles. There are different variations you can do though. There is a bear that likes to roam around. He wont hurt you, he typically just runs the other way or stands there and watches you.
Bring along a garbage bag. Unfortunately people like to party around here and drop litter. I try to take out as much as I can.

high

Beautiful views! lots of uphill for a great workout then levels off to going downhill. Took the brown trail. 6 miles.

Awesome trail! Just found this very close to home and hiked from the green to the blue and then down the brown back to the car. Very well marked trails. It was a pretty intense climb up to the top and the view was amazing. Definitely returning, so so much to see out there.

Trail is mostly used for ATVs. Some broken glass and beer cans on trail. I've been there a few times and haven't ran into any other hikers. It does have a wonderful view when you get to the top off the hill.