Sunfish Pond

Sunfish Pond is a 9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stroud Township, PA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great glacial pond, lots of wildlife, well maintained trail system This hike is a moderate climb to Sunfish Pond, following the Appalachian Trail heading north. The trail is well maintained and well used by dayhikers and overniters alike. The hike has a few strenuous climbs, but mostly evenly graded climbs with a few level areas in between. I followed the Dunnfield Hollow Trail down from Sunfish Pond to make it a loop. This trail does have some rather steep sections, and I probably wouldnt suggest it as an uphill route if I had a fully loaded pack.

Great hike. not too crowded, beautiful Forrest, the pond was very scenic and relaxing. the trail back down dunnfield creek was equally enjoyable.

Good

Really enjoyable hike! I wish we were able to swim in the lake though.

It's my first time seeing a black bear in the wild. so cool!

I loved the challange.it is a difficult trail so you better be in good shape!

Beautiful scenery and beautiful creatures along the way

Amazing! We started by fallowing the creek all the way up to the lake. If you fallow the path that goes around the lake (the path that's marked on the above map) you will come across a wall of rock about 20feet tall, you can climb it and you'll find another path on top which will lead you to a beautiful mountain peak and a gorgeous view. We went hiking in April and it was about 55 degrees but that didn't stop up from hopping in the lake. The water is very clean (glacial lake after all). The Appalachian trial is a little boring but it does have a camping spot on it if you're trying to set up camp. We did a little bit of off roading and did some hiking through the forest. The hike is challenging and will give your legs a good workout especially if you're not used to hiking. The area is kept clean, and I mean spotless. So yeah cool beans, love the spot. Will be coming back in the summer to camp out with a few friends.

Great day for a hike! Parked on the other side of 80, which added a quarter mile or so. Lots of people, but when we got to the little lake, we had it to ourselves. Half way around the lake make sure that you scramble up to the ridge to get the view of the little town.

great hike or overnight or weekend hike

Nice walk often crowded in good weather

It was a very challenging trail with more rocks than I bargained for, and taking this in mind, it was all worth the hike, the Glacial Pond was beautiful to experience and the walk back was not lol. I highly recommend this trail for the strong at heart, lung and knee's that will indeed take a pounding on the way down.

This one is a childhood favorite, so it gets 5 stars for nostalgia and because the bottom section of this trail is just spectacular along the stream/creek. A nice 8 miles up and back, nothing difficult, but the hang out and picnic opportunities at the top are awesome! Both the stream and the water holes are great to cool off in post-hike. (Here's a pretty nice link: http://www.njhiking.com/best_hikes_in_nj_sunfish_pond/)

This trail is a classic and gets very crowded during the late spring into early fall, but in the shoulder season, its great. Start out at the Dunnfield Creek parking area and follow the AT past a series of water falls up to Sunfish Pond. To hike around the pond, take the Turquoise trail around the NE end of the pond until it connects with the Sunfish Pond Fire Road. Follow the fire road back to the AT and return to the parking lot. AT is well marked but was very wet today due to 5 inches of rain falling two days prior, Sections can get rocky. Turquoise trail is poorly marked with blazes few and far between (and faded to the color of some of the native lichen on the trees...what were they thinking?) Fire road is pretty self-evident. All in all a really nice hike.

Started with a climb to the summit of Mt.Tammany and then a continuation on the blue trail . Where blue splits at the sign , I continued north on the unmarked trail . After taking the unmarked trail 3 miles I bushwhacked 2 miles west of north to sunfish pond . This was by far one of my favorite hikes ever . The recent rain brought a shroud of mist and fog reducing visibility to about 10 feet. Bear and coyote evidence abundant , although no sightings. This time that is .

All I could say is wow I love this hike not so much for the pond but for dunnfield creek

9.1 mile hike.... Took green trail from dunnfield parking lot. Gradual upgrade then right before you arrive to the lake - elevation upgrade several hundred feet up. When you take the green trail- majority of time is along the river creek and the path crosses over several times. Maybe dry days - crossing may be easier on the rocks but if rains or just rained the day before- the water levels are higher and you need waterproof boots to get across. Walking sticks help with balance too. Green trail is marked well

Once I reached the lake area- I took a right on sunfish fire road ( which is a smooth path) until I reached turquoise trail and then I make a left there. Turquoise trail is narrow and not marked as well as the green- but as long as you follow the worn path of dirt or rocks - you can navigate. There is a elevated clearing on the turquoise that there is a nice place to rest or have lunch- some of the area is partly shaded

If you continue on turquoise - you hit the Appalachian trail. I turned left to keep my loop around the lake. The Appalachian side of the lake is very rocky but it's well marked. There are several parts where you reach the lake but swimming is not permitted. When you complete the loop - you will see a wooden bench similar to the one by dunnfield waterfall where green trail starts.

I took the Appalachian trail (white trail) back . Passed a camping area, passed area of forest where you can tell there was fire - the rest of the trail is basically a gradual downhill back to the dunnfield parking lot.

Took me about 2 hrs going and 1hr 45 coming back. That was with brief stops to drink water, take pictures etc