Sullivan Run Trail to Lewis Falls

Sullivan Run Trail to Lewis Falls is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Muncy Valley, PA that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

8.3 miles 2098 feet Out & Back

The trail is not marked very well, but if you make it to the small pull off area, you will definitely be able to here Sullivan falls roaring in the distance. I short, but difficult hike down the trail will get you to the bottom of the falls. It is simply gorgeous! The trail actually starts at the small parking lot, but if you take the trail you are going to miss all the waterfalls. The best way to experience this section is to start at the top of sullivan falls and simply walk the stream. Stick to the left of any branches in the stream and continue up about .7 miles. That's when you will stumble into the second waterfall. There are about 5 -6 waterfalls in total, and like the creator of the trail said, it is a pretty technical/strenuous hike. Most of the waterfalls you have to climb up in order to continue on and there is one section that depending on the water level, you can't keep going unless you don't mind swimming and climbing up a waterfall. With that said, it is definitely an adventure!

Most trails are around water. 2 snake encounters, be careful. No worries

Couldn't find it... Does anyone have any tips? The GPS brought me to 13 gameland down a poorly developed road and after 2 miles I decided to turn around and just go to Ricketts Glen.

My son wanted to hike this place that I had told him about but, I had not hiked it for 29 years. I had spent a lot of time up the Lewis Falls in my younger days since a friend owned the White House (Lead Run Gun Club), and I had my own private room there.
This is still the best place to be when the temperature soars during summer. Every falls on this run has it's own deep swimming hole but, I doubt that the water temp rarely breaks 52*.
I can remember doing this hike without getting my feet wet from jumping back and forth across the slippery rocks in the stream but, not at age 57. Getting up around to the top of a falls in order to continue required steep vertical climbs up very loose and slippery moss covered rocks. Watching out for snakes is imperative because one could be under any rock or on any ledge that you grabbed to pull yourself up.
The only thing bad about this hike was when we reached the top falls where a trail connects to the access road and saw where ATVs were making trails. While we rested before heading back down a dirt bike rider showed up.
I fear that soon garbage will start to appear since there were already signs of campfires present. I'm saddened by this because this is one of my favorite places on earth.

I have been been up and back this trip about four time in the last two years taking pictures of the waterfalls from Sullivan Falls, Pigeon Falls, Bear Run Fall, 5th Falls, Ore Run Falls. I have also hike the Heberly Run Side up to Lewis Falls and subsequent trips to Big Falls and Twin Falls. As Scott Brown put in his book Pennsylvania Waterfalls "To give you a good sense of what lies upstream from Pigeon Falls, consider trying to hike nearby Ricketts Glenn State Park before the trail was built." I still have more to explore.

I am completely amazed that I grew up here and never realized that there was a trail here. Some of the photos are clearly of Sullivan Falls which I have jumped off of at least 500 times (do not do it, it is not recommended and not legal). I have undertaken that idiotic endeavor for each year since 1994. This is my very favorite place in PA or anywhere, and not entirely happy that the secret is out. I'll have to look around for a trail next time.

While I have only done one section of this trail, it is easily one of the most beautiful parts of PA... and that's saying a lot! It is very similar to Ricketts Glenn, however it is not taken care of like the Glenn is. There are no steps, trails, etc. In order to see the falls, you have to walk up the stream, and climb the waterfalls as you get to them. Its definitely a dangerous hike, but it is so worth the experience. I hiked the trail last on July 2nd and while Ricketts glenn was so crowded I couldn't find a spot to park... I didn't see a soul on this little gem. And nothing beats the section where the canyon walls are so steep that you have to swim and climb up the falls to keep on exploring. When I got to the last fall, I just made a right and walked up the mountain til I got to the actual trail that this is for and then headed back down to my car. I would only recommend doing that if you've done the trail before. For more information on the trail and I decent map, check out this book: