Standing Stone Trail

Standing Stone Trail is a 35.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Huntingdon, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The northern most section of the Standing Stone Trail. Very rocky, but worth it for some of the best views in central Pennsylvania!

Starting at Turkey Hill Road South of Greenwood Furnace State Park & Pole Trail. We hiked up the Pole Trail to the SST. We walked along the ridge passing a couple of small vistas untill we came to Little Vista. This part of the trail was quite rocky and uneven. Nothing that good hiking shoes can't handle. From Little Vista the trail improve a lot. Still rocky but the rocks, and let me say boulder, were placed and fitted together for easy walking along with stairs where needed. After Little Vista we passed, and stopped at, Willies Window, The Wall, Saussers Stone Pile Vista, & Stone Mountain Hawk Watch. These last two can be easily accessed from Allensville Rd Parking Area. Just a 1/4 mile from the Hawk Watch. We ended the hike a mile and a half down the trail at Frew Road. See my post and photos on my profile

Love hiking this trail. Beautiful views, and plenty of wildlife to see

14 March 2016
Finally got around to hiking this trail again. We did the Stone Valley Vista loop and it was incredible! The view was breathtaking (almost 180 degrees). We got to watch birds of prey soar on the currents right in front of us. So worth the hike! We started from the SST trailhead in Greenwood Furnace and made a right towards Stone Valley Vista. It feels like much more than the one mile the signs claim it is. After enjoying the view, we continued down the orange-blazed trail, eventually making a right onto the yellow-blazed Turkey Trail. We followed that down to the road and took Turkey Hill Road back into Greenwood Furnace.

10 October 2015
A friend and I hiked part of this trail yesterday and encountered a big dog/cat of some sort less than a quarter mile from Stone Valley Vista, approximately 3 miles from the trailhead in Greenwood Furnace. It growled at us twice from somewhere off the trail to our left. It sounded very much like a wolf. We did not see it but needless to say turned around and made great time back to the parking lot. Though we're bummed we didn't get to see the view from the top, we can't say we'll be returning anytime this weekend to finish our hike. The trail was beautiful and I'll gladly do this hike again, but definitely not without bear spray and a knife.

Long, full day trails in the area. Some areas include steep incline. Generally moderate hiking, but some areas more difficult.

There was a group of us who started out on an early saturday morning, parked some cars in allensville and some others at the bottom of the thousand steps in huntington. We all started the trail leading to the top of allensville mountain, discovering there was alot of vistas, neat little places to stop and explore, such as the great boulders we walked through and climbed on along the way, firemans tower, awesome scenery and the climb up Jacks mountain makes for a nice challenge of a cardio workout if your into that. Jacks mountain is a straight stretch from bottom to top and gets quiet steep. But what a feeling of achievement once completed. With all being said it was a super awesome hike, not easy but a great one to say you accomplished. We however accomplished it within a days time, being rushed and pushing ourselves the whole way through. I think its a hike that should be done overnight to get to enjoy every moment of the trails

Well marked trail with many great vistas. Completed it in one day but if I had the chance to do it again I would made a weekend of it in order to explore and climb the many rock formations along the trail. Very rocky and difficult terrain on the first ten miles last half is a little more tame. Get a good sturdy pair of boots and watch out for the snakes. Bring lots of water containers or a filter, not many places to fill up. Great time!

Nice trail for a weekend backpacking trip. I would give yourself three days so you can really enjoy the scenery and vistas. This part of the Standing Stone trail is very rocky and can be slow going at times but well worth it just for the views. BEWARE of the ticks. My dad and I had a constant battle with them. Make sure to bring your OFF. There are not any water sources for the first 8 miles when leaving Greenwood Furnace. Be sure to pack plenty of water. There are really no places to camp either in the first 8 miles. Give yourself plenty of time the first day until you get down off the ridge.