Laurel Highlands Trail

Laurel Highlands Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Seward, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This 70-mile footpath extends from the Youghiogheny River Gorge at Ohiopyle State Park east of Uniontown, Pennsylvania, to the one thousand foot-deep Conemaugh Gorge near Johnstown. There are eight overnight areas, each with five shelters, tent pads, bathrooms and potable water. Camping is permitted only at these areas, which are located eight to ten miles apart. The terrain is generally moderate, and a number of road crossings provide ample opportunities for both out-and-back and one-directional day-hiking. Markers at all mile-points takes the guesswork out of gauging distance traveled.

Hiked 24 miles did 18.5 in a day well maintained..

Out trip was a northward venture from the Hidden Valley Ski Area to the Route 30 parking area, over 3 days/2 nights. We were fortunate to have about 18 inches of snow, so we broke out the snowshoes - so much fun! We also got to put some miles on our new Camp crampons. The shelter areas were great, although my wife and I opted to tent camp near the shelters, after hearing about the mice. In fact, our shelter-bound companions ended up with some chewed up gear, and sleeping bag invasions by the small creatures. The 15 mile section that we did was very mild, and we covered ground fast. I was somewhat disappointed in the vistas - the summit and surrounding areas were not pronounced enough to offer any out-of-the-ordinary views.

All in all a good hike for a big group of mixed skill/fitness levels.

Hiked 13+ miles from the western trailhead at Johnstown hiking east. Hiked to the 56-57 mile marker and camped at the shelter site. Hiked east back 8+ miles to the next shelter and camped the 2nd night. Hiked back to the trailhead next morning. Did this in the fall towards the beginning of winter with snow showers mixed with cold rain and night time temperatures around the upper teens. No campers at the shelter site the first night other than myself and my dog. Shared the next night camp with only a couple of others. Did not see hardly any other people. I was surprised because this is an awesome hike.

I absolutely love this trail - Ive hiked to the 6.3 mile shelters from Ohiopyle parking lot multiple times and I've never been disappointed - It is a difficult trail that provides awesome scenery and a chance to be alone with nature for a couple of days.

only hiked from milepost 52 to the end. pretty nice trail!

Been hiking this trail for years, in sections and just out for day hikes, 2 years ago I walked the full trail in 5 days, was a very nice peaceful trip. Highly recommended if you are in the area. If your on Facebook join us, do a search for LHHT a bunch of us on that group. My name is Larry

I have hiked about half of this great trail, from Ohiopyle to Rt.30, multiple times, but my favorite section is between Ohiopyle and Maple Summit. You have multiple views into the Youghiogheny River valley that are absolutely beautiful. I have hiked this trail in all 4 seasons, and without a doubt, winter provides some of the best views. Although this is my favorite section, it is also the toughest section I've done. If you come from Ohiopyle, you have 2 significant climbs before you reach the shelters, and possibly the longest climb from the shelter area towards Maple Summit. I tend to hike from Maple Summit to Ohiopyle just so I can avoid this climb alone, although coming from Maple Summit still reguires a couple of good climbs to get to Ohiopyle. I have been hiking this section of trail for over 20 years and never tire of the views. I highly recommend this hike.

We started a shuttle run at Seven Springs Ski Resort and hiked to the campgrounds at Ohiopyle State Park. It was a great hike; we took two days to enjoy the scenery. Most of the trail was downhill and would be much more challenging heading the other direction. The trail was in good shape and easy to traverse. There were some amazing vantage points on this section as well.

i've hiked parts of the trail and it is beautiful and fun and has mixed terrain for the family and beginners. it's really beautful year round but spring and fall it's just georgous. it's definitely a must see for anyone in the area that wants to get out and spread their legs or wants to take the family on a hike or go camping. there are nice camp sites there is excellent trout fishing along most of the trail, there are kayaking and whitewater rafting opportunities just all around a great area and trail to hike.