Haycock Mountain

Haycock Mountain is a 19.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Quakertown, PA. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

19.6 miles Loop

rock climbing

Fun hike it's really short tho, I wanted more after it was done. Don't believe the reviews about it being hard to follow, there are blue arrows everywhere and it's an out and back. You go up, then you go down. The rocks were super fun! Very technical and fun

Loved it! Climbing the boulders was hard, especially for our dog but really beautiful at the top.

Trail was nice until you get to major boulders. Then it's hard to navigate. Hard for a beginner like me. Got held up in the boulders trying to get out for quite some time. But nice view at the top of Lake Nockamixon. I had a good time. I wouldn't recommend taking very young children.

Beautiful scenery, very quiet, dog friendly. However, to say it's not marked well is an understatement. the initial trail from parking lot is so well defined, there's no need for blazes. But all of a sudden the defined trail peters off and you have no clue where you're going. the only marks I saw were spray painted trees with smiley faces or obscenities; no true blaze marks. Perhaps I missed something more obvious but we walked into at least 3 other groups wandering around in the woods too, so it can't be just us!

Fun hike, not located where it says on the map.

maybe gets bad reviews cuz it's hard to follow and easy to get lost bust lots of good geocaches around here and also a bouldering area

Lots of people here with bad reviews, but I thought this hike was sweet! Not for the faint of heart though I guess. Trail head was easy to find. Not technically in Quakertown, but just take Rt 563 to a turn off on Top Rock Trail road. I usually take my dog with me, but glad I didn't. He would've had some trouble navigating the rocks, as you are hopping and bouldering when you get closer to the top. Trail isn't well marked at spots, but was easy enough to find my way up and then back down, even when off trail.. Cool discovery, I'd go again.

Where's the trail? This map shows Quakertown. The trail is miles from there...

This "trail" is not worth your time. There are absolutely NO trail maps to be found ANYWHERE. The blazes are random and the trail is inconsistent. After you reach the top, which is less than a mile, the trail continues to a grass road and water tower. After that the trail breaks off to the right and seems to lead you back towards the top to complete a loop. It actually disappears and leads you into private property. By no means is the trail 19 miles, not even close, maybe if you walk around aimlessly you will hit 4 miles. The State Game Lands parking areas all lead to no where, they just lead to private property and woods that must be bushwacked. If you want to actually hike on a trail stick to the Nockamixon State Park, haven't been there personally but it has to be better than Haycock. If you're looking to do some bouldering, then Haycock has a couple places to climb grafitti covered rocks.

Living in Quakertown PA, the trail was within 15 minutes driving time. Trail was not clearly marked, hard to follow to the top of the mountain but still a great day outside and located in a beautiful area of Pennsylvania.

We had a hard time finding the train head and need up walking the service road first only to find the trail head (blocked by a down tree) right off the parking lot. Duh! We took the trail off the service road which was a grass path to start. The trail blazes were poorly marked and didn't notice them at all until the way down on one section I the trail. It is fairly easy until you start getting to the boulders. That was when it got fun! The bouldering was difficult at times but the challenge was an accomplishment for our first time. Kids that were there did not have problems from what I could tell but don't take little ones or dogs. We did not see the vista view that they show on the website. The view from the top I the boulders it more trees. The trail probably keeps going but it was overgrown and the lack of blazes made us unsure of which way to go so we went back down instead. They need maps - at least on line to check out before hand.

The trail was very poorly marked: many sections had no blazes and the sections that did were pretty inconsistent with them. The trails were overgrown in many places and there was lots of poison ivy.

Despite those complaints, the boulders were a lot of fun to climb on. The "top" was quite a jungle gym (the words "top" and "mountain" should be used loosely). I would recommend this trail to those who are looking for rocks and have already explored the area's better hiking options.

We really enjoyed the bouldering. It was such a nice change from the usual hikes. The trail was a bit short, but we ended up hopping around on the rocks for quite some time. It did go on, but to where we weren't sure, and I haven't been able to find a map. Other trails in PA have boulders, but I've never seen as many as here, or as large. Next time I will bring gloves though. There will definitely be a next time.

Its a great hike for a nice sunday afternoon or you can spend the day bouldering either way its a great time. I went with a few friends a this past spring and we brought my puppy and we all made it to the top! I am a kayaker as well and the Nockamixon lake is a stones throw away. I would recommend both for sure.

The trailhead is actually located off of Top Rock Trail on the left side. You'll see the markings for hunters and an access road. Nice challenging trail that begins as a creek bed and gradually becomes tighter with more rocks and roots at the top. Great local climb, but not for little kids or a little Sunday stroll.