Furnace Trail

DIFFICULTY 2 reviews

Furnace Trail is an out and back trail located near Middleburg, PA. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

It was the start of the hottest days of this summer and after a little rain. Getting to this location made me want a jacked up truck because of how bad the road was. I parked my car at a gentleman's house after asking permission and started my hike.

The hike was nothing but up with no alternating slopes. The only animals I've seen were bugs and a bat when I reached the top. The flies and mosquitos were particularly annoying because of being present nearly the entire time. After reaching the summit, I reached a road and had no idea which way to go. Supposedly, there is a great long bridge which would have been the vista? I walked left, right, and straight for a time just to see if anything turned up. It didn't so I hiked back down the mountain.

I will try this trail again with a supply of food and water to investigate further. I will also use Google Earth to see if I can find anything as well.

The trail was not easy to find. You take Huckleberry Lane for about 1/3 mile. You will pass some houses. If you come to a gate you went too far. The trail is on the left just after the last house on the left before the gate. It crosses over the creek and goes up the hill.