Cowans Trail

DIFFICULTY 2 reviews

Cowans Trail is located near Fort Loudon, PA. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

This should be called Cowans Gap Trails (plural) There are a number of trails within the park so, depending on your fitness level and amount of time you want to spend out in the woods, you can combine a number of trails. Keep in mind, some of the trails take you up to the top of Tuscarora or Cove Mountains which means the ascents can be steep. I gave this trail a five-star since the trails were well marked and well maintained. Enjoy.

I did this trail with my 6 y/o son. The trail is easy and well marked. I have been going to Cowan's Gap since I was a little boy, but never walked the trail. The trail is approx 2 miles and goes completely around the lake. Cowan's Gap is a man made lake built during the Great Depression. It has a swimming area and camping, which are the two big draws to the park. If you live near by and want to have a weekend of swimming and mild hiking, I recommend it. The park is clean and well maintained.