Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve Trail System

Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve Trail System is a 1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pittsburgh, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Beechwood's five miles of trails wind through several representative habitats of southwestern Pennsylvania: hardwood forest, pine forest, meadow, and pond. Which one will you take? Trail walking times are based on a fit adult walking at a brisk pace. The trails are open dawn to dusk, 365 days a year, free of charge. To help us keep Beechwood a special place, please: -Respect plants and animals by leaving them in their natural habitat -Stay on the trails -Leave your pets at home (trained animals for special needs excepted) -Respect our No Bikes policy -Consider a membership in ASWP to help us maintain this special place. Spring Hollow This trail passes through a variety of habitats - hardwood forest, stream hollow, pond, meadow - where you will see plants native to the Ohio Valley. Stop by the treehouse for a bird's eye view of the forest. With easy walking in all weather, this is a good trail for families. Walking Time: 45 minutes (.45 mile) Upper Fields The Upper Fields trail connects the lower meadow by the nature center to the upper meadow on the hill. It passes through an edge habitat between the meadow and forest - often a good place to see birds. This is a great place to see lightning bugs on a warm summer evening. Walking Time: 15 minutes (.20 mile) Goldenrod Named for the flowers that paint the area gold in autumn, Goldenrod passes from field to forest amidst grasses, berry bushes, shrubs and young trees. Look for galls on Goldenrod stems. Walking Time: 20 minutes (.14 mile) Toddler Short, hilly trail connecting Spring Hollow Walk to the top of Oak Forest Trail by the pond. Walking Time: 10 - 15minutes (.11 mile) Oak Forest See the ecosystem of a young, regenerating forest, which was once home to hay fields and farm worker's homes. At the top of the hill, look for large mature oak trees. This is a slightly bumpy and hilly trail. Walking Time: 20 minutes (.53 mile) Violet Narrow and steep in places, Violet leads over the damp floor of a mixed hardwood forest on the hillside above a stream. Look for tracks in the mud. Walking Time: 10 - 15 minutes (.13 mile) Woodland Narrow, steep and shady. Large snags, once huge mature oaks, are now home to a variety of insects, birds, and mammals. Virginia Creeper and grapevines weave throughout the branches, while ferns and other green plants grow on the forest floor. Your nose will clue you in to the pine stand. Walking Time: 30 minutes (.51 mile) Meadowview Hilly, but well maintained, Meadowview passes through fields, thickets and the tip of a pine stand. Walking Time: 40 minutes (.41 mile) Pine Hollow Pine Hollow is the longest and most rigorous trail at Beechwood. Narrow and hilly, it branches off Meadowview to wind through fields, a shady forest of mixed hardwoods and conifers, and an old pine plantation. Listen to the wind in the pines. Walking Time: 1 hour (.91 mile)

Although it's rated "easy" this is a beautiful trail for all seasons. The grassy meadows surrounding the pond provide a wonderful introduction to the wooded trails that lay beyond.
Take note that the upper trails cross a private paved driveway.
Pine Hollow Trail is my favorite~

The tree lookout is really something and totally worth it. Very relaxing yet does challenge you enough while you hike. I love it here.

This is a good trail but very narrow in most places. There is a limited view and the vegetation is quite thick is some places and extend into the trail. The trails are marked very well.

Love this place. I can take my toddler for a walk and it's not too much for him. Very well kept trails and well marked. Great trails for the whole family.

This is a scenic area and quite peaceful; however, as another reviewer noted, there are coyotes in the surrounding woods. Coyotes are not usually threatening to humans, but it's worth reading up on them ahead of time and feeling prepared before hearing their not-so distant howls in the trees.

I met my wife and toddler at Beechwood Farms after work. My wife packed a dinner for us and we ate on some of the benches at the Nature Center before starting the hike shortly after 6pm. We hiked a loop combining the Spring Hollow, Meadow View, and Pine Hollow trails. My son traveled on my back in our Sherpani backpack. It was a beautiful evening and we really enjoyed the hike. There were plenty of fall flowers in bloom, mostly goldenrod. While we were on the western side of Pine Hollow in the vicinity of the Bridle Path we were treated to something unexpected. A few nearby fire sirens began to sound and we were not the only creatures to take notice. Promptly a chorus of howling began a not so far distance off. My wife and I are convinced that it was coyotes though can't be sure as we didn't see them. I did some searching on the internet today to see if there was any mention of coyotes specifically in the area, but I did not find anything. My wife was a bit nervous and we quickened pace a bit as dusk was approaching. At the end of our hike we stopped for a short while at the pond. Beechwood Farms is a great place to take a family hike.