EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Appalachian Trail 183 South to Kimmel Lookout

Appalachian Trail 183 South to Kimmel Lookout is a 19.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethel, PA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until November.

This section makes a great weekend trip. There are multiple camp sites, scenic views, and a boulder field to explore. This is really one of the best sections of trail to hike. There are multiple scenic overlooks. There's a boulder field, a reservoir, plenty of access to water, and multiple campsites.

I did stay two nights here which allowed me an entire Saturday to really explore a little off trail and take in the scenery. theres a lot of camping space big enough for a group or three! I made camp at two locations and passed a flask of rum on Saturday night with a thru hiker who was very glad I had a source to charge his phone and food for his trip as he was rationing before his restock point in 3 days. as always wear appropriate footwear and be on the lookout for wildlife.

this was a fun section of the AT. Met some great people and saw some wonderful views. no need to stock up on water as there is a reservoir just a few miles in. I took my time at the Boulder field and also the lookouts especially the first Vista which has a sweet natural bench. there I stayed for 30 min out and again on my way back. and the boulder field was a lot of fun for free running just be aware of snakes. I saw a few little ones but deep in the rocks. I consider myself a bit of a trail Angel so my pack is always heavy with extra snacks batteries and perishables. other than the heavy pack a very easy hike all around.

Nice. convenient.

we took this trail to the reservoir, which was 5 miles from 183. so 10 miles total, the setting at the reservoir was beautiful though. there are also several great spots to camp along the trail.