Appalachian Trail 183 South to Kimmel Lookout

Appalachian Trail 183 South to Kimmel Lookout is a 19.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethel, PA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until November.

This section makes a great weekend trip. There are multiple camp sites, scenic views, and a boulder field to explore. This is really one of the best sections of trail to hike. There are multiple scenic overlooks. There's a boulder field, a reservoir, plenty of access to water, and multiple campsites.

This section was rocky like all the sections I've done on the A.T. However there were some pretty cool things to see along the way. Hertlein campsite and the old reservoir were very inviting, however we wanted to stay the night at 501 shelter, which was pretty awesome. A quick walk across 501 heading south leads to an awesome lookout to watch the sun go down. Even saw a timber rattlesnake!!

I did stay two nights here which allowed me an entire Saturday to really explore a little off trail and take in the scenery. theres a lot of camping space big enough for a group or three! I made camp at two locations and passed a flask of rum on Saturday night with a thru hiker who was very glad I had a source to charge his phone and food for his trip as he was rationing before his restock point in 3 days. as always wear appropriate footwear and be on the lookout for wildlife.

this was a fun section of the AT. Met some great people and saw some wonderful views. no need to stock up on water as there is a reservoir just a few miles in. I took my time at the Boulder field and also the lookouts especially the first Vista which has a sweet natural bench. there I stayed for 30 min out and again on my way back. and the boulder field was a lot of fun for free running just be aware of snakes. I saw a few little ones but deep in the rocks. I consider myself a bit of a trail Angel so my pack is always heavy with extra snacks batteries and perishables. other than the heavy pack a very easy hike all around.

Nice. convenient.

we took this trail to the reservoir, which was 5 miles from 183. so 10 miles total, the setting at the reservoir was beautiful though. there are also several great spots to camp along the trail.