Appalachian Trail: Wind Gap to Smith's Shelter

Appalachian Trail: Wind Gap to Smith's Shelter is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Wind Gap, PA. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Good walk can't wait to do it again

EXTREMELY ROCKY. If you walk the entire 4 miles to Smith Shelter you will be rewarded with a nice camping area and a couple good decent views. The views and camp do not however make up for the rocky path since you have to stare at your feet the entire hike so you do not break an ankle.

Ok trail, overall. Very rocky, which is tough on the ankles, but enjoyed the route nonetheless--mostly shaded by trees, a small vista in the beginning of the hike and a tough incline to start, but pretty flat once you're past the first half mile.

Not bad

Steep in the beginning but begins to level out. Was a nice morning, there were a lot of people already there by 8 AM.

Would not necessarily return to this trail because there are a lot of rocks. But I am glad to have experienced it and that I am healthy enough to hike.

This past weekend my husband, adult son and myself hiked and camped overnight on this trail. The amount of rocks made the 4 plus mile hike miserable. When we hike we like to enjoy our surroundings, the constant rocky path made that virtually impossible, you HAD to watch each placement of your foot or your were going down. That was on 95% of the trail. There were several nice views but nothing you could not see doing another hike in that area, certainly not nice enough for myself anyway to hike the trail again.