Appalachian Trail: The Cliffs & Bear Rocks

Appalachian Trail: The Cliffs & Bear Rocks is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Andreas, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Great hike. Note: 1 mile in nice spot in right to camp and 3 miles in rocks with nice look out. Not too hard. Locks of rocks, could hurt ur ankle. Well traveled trail. Would be hard to get lost. Def met peiple on it that been out for months on the AP.

Very rocky hike that is a lot of fun! The actual lookout at bears rocks is not as we expected. You must climb up a large wall of rocks and then once you get to the top, there is a high tree line that you look over to see the overlook. I could have gotten a better view at a different hike along the AT, but this hike was a very quiet and peaceful one. We went on a chilly December morning and ran into 2 people the entire 9 miles.

Awesome

I started off from baked oven knob heading towards bear rocks. Once you get to bear rocks is when the fun starts lol... lots and lots of rocks! it took me less than 3 hours to get to 309 and complete the trail. I saw a New Tripoli sign for campsites and I was told by a hiker that it was 2 1/2 miles away from the AT approximately. Not sure if it was true or not but I will definitely follow that blue trail to the campsite to check it out at another time.

Nice view from the top of Bear Rocks, avoid the knob!

Definitely up there on the list for me. I usually drop in at Lehigh Furnace Gap and hike south to Bake Oven Knob, then onto Bear Rocks and The Cliffs. The Knife Edge is definitely a test of will, especially if you're out there with full backpacks on. Rocky as hell, but the views are tremendous, there are a few springs (Bake Oven Knob and New Tripoli), and plenty of campsites.

One of my favorite hikes. Reasonably level ground, and some fun climbing when you get to the rocks.

If you like great views, climbing large rock formations and dont think nothing of hiking over 10 miles, then this hike is for you! Here's what you do. Take 309 to the sign next to the road on top of the Blue Mountain that says "Appalachian Trail", turn up the road and park. Keep in mind the trail is off to the right of the road and the last place to pick the trail up from the road is when you make it to the Mind Control Antenna. Then hike 5 1/2 miles to Baked Oven Knob. Judging by the trash, you'll want to either do drugs and/or have sex once you're at the knob before returning the 5 1/2 miles to your vehicle. I was only on this hike once and I saw the bear on Bear Rocks but left before the bear saw me on his rocks. I'd put at least 6 hours aside to enjoy yourself up there.