Appalachian Trail: Port Clinton to Highway 309

Appalachian Trail: Port Clinton to Highway 309 is a 20.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Port Clinton, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

20.8 miles 3868 feet Point to Point

AP Trail - Port Clinton To Highway 309. 2 miles in (50 min walk) , decent place to set up camp and have fire. Same with 3 miles ( 1 hr 11 min walk) in marker. People been there already amd prepped.

Great trail. We started at the parking lot on the other side of Rt 61, which cut out one half mile of flat. We continued on the AT beyond the the 2.9 mile mark on the map. We hiked 4.85 out. We didn't pass Pine Swamp road. Doesn't anyone know where it is? I am guessing it is somewhere near the spring at the bottom of a steep hill. We made the return trip back making a total of 9.7 miles. It is quit a work out because of the elevation gain. I estimate that with the added terrain covered that we climbed about 1600 ft. We also met many real nice people. Thru hikers, section hikers, and a few people on a weekend hike, camping at top of mountain. Looking forward to doing it again before the end of the season. Most views are obscured by trees this late in season. I was able to see more when I went in early May. Post script: Parking off of Rt 61 is no longer available. There is a small parking lot on 61 near Port Clinton or there are places in Port Clinton where you can park. This section has a lot less people than the nearby section to the Pulpit and Pinnacle. Although it doesn't have the same views, it offers more solitude.

The trail is great but don't park on pine swamp road unless you want your car vandalized.... Broke the back window and danged the door frame. Do not park on that road, park on hawk mountain road where the application crosses.

I thought the view over Hamburg was nice. The hike up from Port Clinton will get your heart a good pumping and the decent down will give your legs a workout. I would say this is a moderately strenuous hike. Go to Port Clinton Hotel for ice cold beer.

Doing this trail every november,,, this year in 8 inches of snow (early snow). Very first hike was from Port Clinton up to
1440 ft elevation..struggled but enjoyed the climb...Had 0 training which was a mistae... but hiked all summer and posted on you tube every time and this year,, even in the snow was so much easier. Im retired military, but this hike tests you.

I have to come back to this trail. though it was very scenic we went with 3' of snow and we didn't have snow shoes. we def needed them for the amount of snow on the ground.{ill be buying some}. didn't get to make it to the pinicle because of snow, but ill be doing this one again when it warms up.

Great trail, a little rocky but what did you expect. The workout is worth the beautiful views!!

My son and I did this section and on to Palmerton, sleeping overnight in one of the lean-to s. ( 30 miles in all). This 15 mile section is arduous, as the trail climbs over 4 and 6 foot high boulders. Tough if doing it with a pack, food and water ( and a Black Lab) . But the look out at The Pinnicle is truly amasing! There are ways to drive dirt roads with parking and get to the look out as a short walk, but the overnight was a "challenge met" for us!

I dont know about hiking the whole 15 miles but what I do know is that the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock is on this stretch of trail and you want to see them. Here's what you do. Use your GPS or incredible powers of perception to find Reservoir Road outside of Hamburg and fallow the road to the parking lot. I wish you the best of luck from this point because there's one sign and lots of trails. You'll want to stay to the right of the reservoir, so cross the bridge and walk the dirt road up the mountain. Once you're at the observatory walk through their complex to Pulpit Rock. The blue hash trail from Pulpit rock will take you down to the Blue Rock Flow that you can see from Pulpit Rock but probably isn't worth climbing back down the mountain to you. Fallow the white hash marks from Pulpit Rock past the cell phone tower. It'll take over an hour to get to the Pinnacle from Pulpit Rock. On the hike, you'll see a red hash mark trail and a yellow hash mark trail. The red trail will take you to a blue trail/road that'll take you back to the reservoir if you're feeling adventurous returning to your car. The yellow trail will take you down the mountain to the campground near the Blue Rock Flow. When you're leaving the Pinnacle, make sure you leave on the trail you came on. The trail is very rocky and I'd wear 2 pairs of socks if I were you. You'll need 5 to 6 hours to enjoy this hike.