Appalachian Trail: Blue Mountain Ridge to Port Clinton

Appalachian Trail: Blue Mountain Ridge to Port Clinton is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bethel, PA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October.

14.6 miles 1276 feet Point to Point

This is a nice section of trail that can be done as either a day hike, or an overnighter. This section of trail starts in the town of Port Clinton and runs along the top of the ridge to Rt 183. It is possible to hike this section in a day. Alternatively, it could be done as overnighter. Eagles Nest Shelter sleeps 8 and is located around the halfway point.

This is a great trail to do, just to get out, and hey if you into the overnight camping. It is also great for that too. There are campsites all along the trail.

I hiked this last year. My family owns a restaurant about 5 minutes from here so i often leave my bike along the ending of this trail and then park my car at the top. Then I hike for a few hours and get to my bike and ride to work. I love it! Best way to start the work day on top of these great over looks of the valley.

Hiked this last year. I believe this point to point refers to starting at Rt183 and going through to Port Clinton. That is the easiest way. Going from Port Clinton you have a 1000 foot climb right at the start, very sharp grade. I made it in about 4.5 hours. There is only one steep climb if going northbound, about three hundred feet. Believe it or not I got a little lost at first becuse I couldn't find white blazes near the beginning where the trail seems to intersect a dirt road. Lost time looking for the trail. Will do it again next spring. Be careful coming down into Port Clinton if it is wet. It is steep. A thunderstorm blew in just as I was ready to descend and made the trip very slick. Most of the day was great - sunny. Watch for copperheads along the sides of any roads. Saw a few.