Varney Creek Trail to Lake Como

Varney Creek Trail to Lake Como is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Klamath Falls, OR that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

bridge out

A out and back trail that terminates at the Mountain Lakes Wilderness Loop. Two creek crossings, a few hillside meadows. A narrowed scenic view at the pass before trail drops down to join the Mountain Lakes Wilderness Loop. Trail head sign mileage is 4.5 miles to the loop, actual distance is about 4.26 making round trip around 8.5 miles.

this was a beautiful hike even though we didn't get to finish due to the mosquitoes. there are a lot of them in July so don't forget your big spray. also the path is quite narrow on some spots so makes strollers very hard to control. all in all my family of 5 really enjoyed it.

Awesome trail! Very gentle climb!

Nice day hike took about 4 hours roundtrip including a stop at lake como for lunch. the majority of the trail offers nice shade, but like others have said bug spray is a must.

I would like to add that they went in and cut all the downed trees. You can get passed everything now.

We really enjoyed this trail. We would recommend hiking it in the summer time when the snow is a little more cleared up but we made it pretty far. Very pretty and so quiet. We will definitely be doing it again!

My 10 year old son and I just hiked this trail went about 1.5 miles and got to a bunch of downed trees due to a huge windstorm and had to turn around which was fine for us cause we were just out for a small day hike anyways. We would've loved to go further but I didn't want to crawl over a bunch of the trees. With that said, it was a great beginning part of the trail, not hard at all my son called it easy with the exception of the downed trees. I hope to do this trail the whole way next time we visit Klamath Falls again.

Would be a three star if it was not for the dead falls and blow downs. The trail has not been serviced in more than several years there was a wind storm with winds over 80 mph this last winter and there are dozens of new fallen trees across the trail and they completely obliterated the first creek crossing. Expect to spend 10 minutes crossing the creek here as it is dangerous and there really is no going around it as the entire canyon is loaded with blow downs and dead falls. Above 6,200 feet the trail is much more manageable providing there is no snow on the ground. Among the pictures I uploaded you can see the condition of the creek crossing for yourself a bit. Just multiply what you see by a factor of 2 or 3. Other than that, the trail is more of an access into the Mountain Lakes Wilderness area. It terminates at the mountain lakes loop 4.26 miles in. It offers a limited narrowed view towards north Klamath lake when you make it to the pass before the trail drops down to join the loop trail. Access to the creek is also very limited, no real water features to mention other than the two creek crossings the trail does. Other than those two crossings the trail stays a distance from the creek.

Great day for a hike, turned back before junction due to snow over the trail.