Tunnel Ridge Trail

Tunnel Ridge Trail is a 1.8 mile out and back trail located near Jacksonville, OR and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

When you reach the sign that says Sterling Mine Trail System: Tunnel Ridge Trail 2km/1mi; Little Applegate Trailhead 8km/5mi; Bear Gulch Trailhead 5km/3mi, you are actually standing just about over the tunnel. If you take either trail a little further, you will reach the tunnel. The passage is clear but you will have to duck if you want to walk through it.

It's more like 4.6 miles to the 'tunnel' a lot further than you think! Prepare for about 9 miles around trip.

Lots of gorgeous madrones along this trail. They may outshine the destination.

This is not an easy trail. Uphill all the way. Scenery is nice but not spectacular.

good

this hike was beautiful and super easy to get to. one thing I would like to make clear, not kid friendly. I took two small kids with me, whom have been on plenty of hikes but the trails are about 15 inches wide with huge drop offs to the side. there is also a ton of poison oak, on the bright side the kids can identify it now.
besides that this hike is easy, really beauitful landscapes, i would definitely go again. oh, and there was a fair amount of bear scat so heads up.

Nice well rounded trail! Had a lot of shade so it was a nice hike even on a hot day

1.2 miles just to the trailhead, very easy on the trail with mark well. 8 Miles from where we parked our car and all the way back.. issue was he found lots of ticks on the dogs as well as ourselves. .. but the most exciting part were breathtaking views!!!! really wish we could put pictures on the reviews LOL 5-8-2016

Beautiful area. medium level

Very beautiful easy hike. April is a great time of year to go. It's cool and breezy and everything is still green, with lots of wild flowers.

Beautiful views and the wild flowers were out in abundance.

Well maintained, beautiful trail. Going to go back and do Bear Gulch next time!

Short trail, beautiful setting!

Awesome!! Beautiful hike. My kids loved it.

Much further outside of Jacksonville than I thought. Out past Yale creek. Decent hike, great trail and marked very well. Tunnel was fun and easy to crouch through.

Easy hike and some nice views at the top with other trails leading off which do need to be walked even if it's just for the hell of it .

I'm 53 yrs of age, unfit and have some health issues. I was able to do the hike with walking poles just fine. I stopped a few times for water and a quick rest but all in all this was a pretty easy hike for me. I do want to add though, there is A LOT of uphill climbing. Not steep but uphill so be prepared :)