Paradise Park Trail

Paradise Park Trail is a 9.1 mile out and back trail located near Government Camp, OR that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until October.

Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park Loop Trail is a 12 mile dog-leg starting and ending at Timberline lodge that gives access to "the park," a large mountain meadow and grassland on Mt. Hood. It's almost always up or down and not the friendliest trail on your legs, but it's one of the more scenic summer hikes on Hood. There are incredible wildflower displays to into early September, and there are few places like the park on the mountain. Also, ignore the map track currently uploaded to AllTrails--that misses most of the park and takes an unimpressive shortcut. Look up maps and take the PCT to trail 757 and do all of 757 till it hits the PCT again.

Great hike as always and not too many bugs. We got to see quite a few through hikers on the PCT and there were relatively few people on the trail. One of my favorite hikes! My phone died during the recording, but we completed 17 miles.

Paradise Park was amazing. Next time I would double back and take the cutover (tr 778 i think) instead of doing the entire loop. Very few people even on summer weekends which is a plus. I think this hike used to be really popular based on the memorial at Split Rock but it must have fallen out of favor based on how few people i saw.

My wife and I hiked this trail on 7/30/2016. We took the Pacific Crest Trail and back to the Paradise Loop making it about 13 miles round trip. This trail was not hard/difficult at all for people in good shape. Climbs are very gradual. The views of Mt. Hood were good but there was very little wildlife, a few chipmunks and a bird. The biting flies were the worst part about the trail and the crowds of people. The waterfall or trickle of water falling was less than spectacular. If you want an easy hike for an 8 hour day with a lot of scenic views of the cascades and Mt. Hood, then this is a good one. Don’t expect to see any meadows to run through with butterflies.

Three of us did this hike on Sunday. The trail was crowded with hikers & backpackers and most disappointing => we were inundated with biting flies! The first hour was fine, but we were eaten alive after that and were surprised no one mentioned this rather significant problem. I've never experienced anything like that before - ever. It was a 71 degree day, which seemed very hot up there, and we went through all of our water, which I rarely even touch on a hike. So, be forewarned. I'm not sure what effectively combats biting flies, but it isn't DEET. That didn't help a bit, so we just kept moving & kept swatting, killing dozens & dozens of flies as we continued on. Really nice wildflower displays up there (though obviously past their prime this year), along with a waterfall & nice views of Hood, Jefferson and Mirror Lake.

What a great experience. so many cool views all along the trail. this is part of the PCT so it's in great condition. lots of ups and downs so it's a real work out. many were staying the night at the end, but it was a little cold out so we did it all in one day. An IPA at the lodge made it the perfect day.

Amazing

I only got to do about 6 total miles (3 in & 3 our) because I was apartment hunting that morning. However it was gorgeous, not a cloud in the sky!! Well maintained and not too crowded. The views were killer and watching sunset not too far from the lodge was epic!

Not much elevation, as long as you are in good shape, you can do it. Takes about 5 hours.
Make sure you have a comfortable hiking boot/shoe. Some part of the trail is pretty muddy or like sand dune.
The vista at some viewpoints is amazing, as well as the Mt Hood.

A great trail that is probably about moderate or normal for those who hike or have regular exercise. Camping in the Paradise Loop is also possible with some fantastic views of wildlife (Birds/Deer/Insects), wildflowers and let's not forget the spectacular view of Mt. Hood. During the trail from Timberline you will get some amazing shots and its fairly easy to trek on some close trails that connect to it (Ramona Falls etc).

It's incredible up here. This competes with Rainier for mountain meadows and wildflowers and might be my new favourite hike on Hood. Ignore the map-track on the top-right of this page: that misses most of the park. Just search for Paradise Park Loop and you'll find many proper maps; I'll upload one as an image too.

It's steep--you're either ascending or descending the entire time, so leave Me-Maw, Pop-Pops, and fat aunt Margaret at home. It's all a steady downhill the first several miles, but guess what? You've gotta get back out, and the only way is up. True: you could tack-on 10 miles and trek down the PCT to Ramona Falls or, alternatively, go down to highway 26.

But if you didn't hike back up to Timberline Lodge, then you wouldn't be able to buy overpriced coffee, overpriced hot chocolate, and IPAs (overpriced IPAs, of course).

I know what you're thinking: "why would I want to drink those things when I'm done hiking?" But you're thinking that because you're a rookie. That combo is called "the Timberline Triple-Speedball" and it'll put a ridiculous smile on your face when you're done hiking. It'll also put a ridiculous dent in your wallet.

Speedballs and steepish leg-burning aside, the mountain wildflowers and meadows in the "park atop the world" are second to none in Oregon, and the streams, falls, and canyons you'll hike are breathtaking.

Do it--the hike and the speedball.

Went in August, flowers were all in bloom in the meadows. Great views of Mt. Hood, waterfalls, etc. Great trail, would definitely recommend.

This trail will take your breath away on nearly every valley you cross. The diversity of experiences let you know you're in paradise. Don't forget to stop at Timberline Lodge for their home brewed beer.

My buddy and I did this trail in July this year and it was a phenomenal hike! There is a little bit of everything on this trail ups, downs, river crossings, mountain views, forest etc. We started at about 8:45 in the morning from the parking lot of Timberline Lodge, where the trailhead begins and we got back to our truck at about 7:00pm. It was a great hike for dogs (we had three). Remember to bring water and a lunch. Paradise Park at the top is a great place to stop and have lunch and the bottom of Zigzag canyon is a great place to rehydrate and grab a snack before your hike back up and out. It was difficult, but the scenery is absolutely worth it! We will definitely be doing it again next year!