Tahkenitch Dunes Trail

Tahkenitch Dunes Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gardiner, OR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This loop hike provides several interesting changes in scenery on the Oregon Coast. This is a fun afternoon hike where you'll pass through beautiful spruce forests, cross large dunes, ford a stream, and wash your sea salt off in a freshwater lake! When you get to the beach take a rest and relax with beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean.

we were so bit up by mosquitos we had to turn back after making it across the bridge and I would never have made it across sand dunes to the ocean as I have an ankle I broke in 2006 it does not do well over dunes at all. rolls too much. I advise to heavily think about repellant before taking this trail.

This was an interesting hike. I wish I could use more detail but this was a while ago. I just remember pulling into a parking lot and starting our hike, and getting lost. We were trying to get to the beach. It turned out that we went into the wrong enterence. We finally got on the right trail which was in a forest setting but eventually lead out to the dunes. It was really awesome actually.. We got the the beach, and there was hardly anyone out there. We set up a blanket and started to relax until we noticed fresh mountain lion tracks right next to us. It was fun.

We did this last spring. It's an interesting hike. We didn't actually see any wildlife but did saw LOTs of tracks including bear tracks. It starts out going through a shore pine forested area then through dunes out to the beach. Then as the trail returns back into the wooded area you come to the little lake... more of a pond really. From there the trail actually got a bit confusing. We did a little bushwhacking then back tracked a ways. Ultimately we essentially tossed a coin and took what turned out to be the correct trail to complete the loop.