Summit Mount Emily Trail

Summit Mount Emily Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pendleton, OR that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

If you start in Pendelton you're still over 70 miles away from the trail-head. This trail is actually located near the city of La Grande. La Grande is a slightly larger city located roughly 70 miles east of Pendelton on I-84. This trail offers scenic views & beautiful landscapes. Access Apr-Nov

I've been on this trail several times, I live in La Grande, and it sounds like no one's actually made it to the trail-head. There is the Mt Emily Recreation Area (MERA) trails all over that southeast side of the mountain that offer OHV trails & mountain bike trails & horseback riding trails. All those trail systems are scenic and pretty awesome for their respective activities. The summit trail however is really at the top of the mountain, beyond the MERA trails & logging. It's a beautiful trail with several views from 5000+ feet. Stop at the local ranger station (we have several) and they'll give better instructions on how to drive to the trail head and avoid the Mt Emily Recreation Area Land completely (to avoid logging) but the logging land is open weekends. While it's a narrow trail with lots of steep hills, it has many interesting natural sites & views down into a Rural Valley filled with rivers, creeks, & farmland. I'm sure even moderately skilled hikers will enjoy this trail. d

I was looking for trails around the area and wanted to make sure everyone knows that this LaGrande Oregon not LaGrange

I started from a truckstop located 1.5 miles from La grange Oregon. I hiked through town across to the fair grounds where the base was located. from there the locals gave me directions to go up the southeast side of the mountain. Long 4 miles on an open gravel road before reaching the tree line at about 3000 feet. I was passed by some Mountain bikers and a few logging trucks on my way up. After only going up to about 5500 feet I came to a gate that was locked and a sign saying the rest of the trail to the peak was closed for logging. Great hike though. And if I were biking would have been great to. There was a Mountain biking event there earlier this year I missed but looked like alot of fun !
All in All great hike, Tall timbers, quiet, crossed the La Grange river and a small brook on the way. One of the locals even let me fill my water bottles on the way down then showed me around the farm and gave me a little history of the area.