South Hills Ridgeline Trail

South Hills Ridgeline Trail is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Eugene, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike is okay, easy trail. It's usually a busy area though. Also my car window was broken out in the parking area so beware of thieves!!!!

Easy, peaceful hike through the woods.

KKEP YOUR DOGS ON A LEASH! I run this trail nearly 3 times a week and 99% of the dogs are off leash even though the trails are CLEARLY marked saying dogs must be kept on a leash. Well, of course some asshat owner brings an aggressive dog to a 3' wide trail and I got bit! She had leashed the dog to let another runner pass, and she didn't see that runner was running towards me, so I stopped to let that runner pass and as he did, the owner bent down, unleashed her dog and it turned and nailed my calf - BAM. Thank god I was standing still or it would have be serious tearing of flesh! Super aggressive dog. Was growling at me the whole time she was trying to give me the rabies tag info as blood was coming down my leg. I was so pissed at this woman! Lane County and Eugene City have a law that ALL dog bites that draw blood must be reported to the police and animal control. So I did. And I'll be sending her my Urgent Care bill as well. KEEP YOUR DOGS LEASHED!

Great but heavily used. A note about this map: The sections that are marked with the words"Ridgeline Trail" are not the trail but rather heavy rock roads for power company access to major electrical distribution lines. The trail on the map going to the top of Spencer Butte is an old user trail that is posted to stay off. Poor trail prone to erosion. The city has plans for developing a trail on this side but please don't use this one now.

Nice trail. Took our black lab. Good mix of uphill/downhill but not too difficult. Went at 8 am on Saturday in August. Came across about 6 other parties. Several dogs. Please keep your dogs on leashes even if well trained.

Nice hike.

great for running!

Great trail. I'll go again

good quick walk.

Great trail ! Only downside it is heavily used. But everyone is very friendly.( it is Eiugene after all)

Well loved by pet owners, a great walk rain or shine, but especially gorgeous if you're willing to trek through on a misty, rainy kind of day.

Absolutely love this gem of a trail right in town! Doesn't "feel" hard when you're doing it, but your body will certainly get a work out. Love being in the trees so hiking on warmer days is not out of the question. I've done re whole trail and love each section for different reasons!

Haven't done entire ridges one trails system year but I'll finish up next week and post more picks. We got little over three miles done last Saturday 10:00am in the morning we ran into 2 people great views beautiful forest. Makes one remember how great Eugene Springfied can be for us outdoor ladies

New Trail Note: there is a new trail connecting the Dillard West and Dillard East trailheads that is NOT present on the leaflets of the Ridgeline trail system and map found at many trailheads. No doubt this will be updated when the new run of leaflets is produced. In the meantime, you can find the updated map online here: https://www.eugene-or.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/3474
This .6 miles trail is well designed and a great improvement on having to walk .4 miles along Dillard Road.
----
From the Blanton ridge trailhead to the Spring Boulevard trailhead via Spencer Butte, this is a 14 miles out and back hike. I was out on December 31st in "invigorating" weather with temperatures between 20 and 30. With the right gear and a dry and sunny day, the whole day was really a treat. With so many trail sections and very little streets crossing, the hike can easily be tailored to experience, stamina, age of the hiker and the available amount of time for the hike.
Yes, there is very little chance to experience a great amount of solitude (many section are multi-use and dog walkers, runners, bikers will share the trail with you)... but isn't it treat to be able to spend a whole day hiking in December, with 8 hours of daylight, with a 20mn commute home! Kudos to the folks that, many years ago, thought about preserving this space at the edge of the city.

Great close in city hike. We hiked from Blanton Ridge Trailhead to Dillard West Trailhead and back Nice 10 miler.