Soda Mountain

Soda Mountain is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, OR that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This is an easy out and back trail to the summit and fire watch tower of Soda Mountain. You start on the PCT headed South 1.1mi. You'll come to a trail junction on your left, take it up .2mi. This brings you to a road and you'll turn right and head up .8mi to the summit. The views are hard to beat.

This is a great hike. Go at the right time, and you'll see beautiful wildflowers. Even later in the season, though, you'll get some nice vistas. We hiked a bit farther down the PCT and made our hike about 9 miles total, but you can customize as you see fit. The road up to the Soda Mountain fire lookout tower is big gravel/rock that can be a bit slippery on the way down, so walk with care. Also, not poetic but worth noting, there's a newly built potty at the trailhead :)

Beautiful June day. Lots of wildflowers.

Me and my boyfriend are always trying to find new places to hike. This trail was really great! I don't think we took this exact trail... but it was definitely the Soda Mountain area and it was awesome! The views are just... phenomenal.

fun adventure, good workout.

Good first half through the trees, but the last half is on a access road with a lot of loose rock. The top is definitely worth putting up with the road, just less than ideal to walk on a road for a mile plus.

Beautiful day for a hike on 6-2-2013. In the morning, it was still misty with low fast moving clouds. We started up the trail, then after the 1.1 mile, stayed right and went along the PCT for 2 miles then came back and then up the Soda Mountain Road to the lookout then back down for a total hike of around 8 miles. The views were amazing all along the PCT but there was not much to offer along the Soda Mountain Road. The views at the top where the lookout is were amazing and very worth the effort. Found 2 geocaches on this hike.

I chose this hike for the views and I wasn't disappointed. At the watchtower I met a friendly man named Ken. He gave me a grand tour. I learned that he's been keeping watch here (seasonally) for 26 years, the views are that good. I will definitely do this one again.